Thirty Two: For Sure

Chapter Thirty Two: For Sure

“Reina, I’m nervous.”

“Neal, honestly, my parents will love you.”

“I’m not nervous about meeting your parents, I’m nervous about your horrible driving.” He said, gesturing to the road.

“My driving is fine.” I said, rolling my eyes.

It had been three months since the both of us had told each other that we loved each other, and if you couldn’t tell, we were on our way to my parent’s place about two hours away. Neal was right when he said he wasn’t nervous—why would he be nervous? He’s a perfect human being!

I, on the other hand, am freaking out.

Personally, I would’ve waited a little while longer before bringing Neal home. But Travis had go running his mouth and kind of told my mother that I had been with Neal for a long while now.

Least to say, she flipped out and demanded that I bring him home.

So, here I was, driving Neal and Ben to my parent’s place. We would have dinner, and hopefully my mother and Edward wouldn’t interrogate the poor guy about everything.

Sometimes, I really hate my younger brother. On the other hand, Travis and Lena would both be there, with Gabriela. She was around eighteen months and is in the process of learning to walk—at least according to Travis.

So in all, I was freaking out about the dinner as a whole, but super excited for it at the same time.

“Reina?” Neal said softly.

“Yeah?”

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I just—”

“Reina, I know you’re lying.”

“Oh. Well, I guess I’m just nervous, I guess.”

“I can tell. It’s reflecting in your driving.”

“Neal, I’m being serious!” I whined.

“I’m just joking.” He said with a chuckle. “But Reina, just remember what you told me. Everything will be alright.” He said, putting his hand over my free one.

“Yeah, just keep swimming!” Ben said from his booster seat in the back. He had seen Nemo for the hundredth time yesterday, and was walking around quoting the movie.

It was cute.

“Yes Ben, just keep swimming.”  I said with a small smile.

“’Cept there’s no water.” He said, furrowing his eyebrows.

Neal and I both started laughing, and sure enough, I felt the nerves slowly slipping my mind.

______

“Reina Adelicia Cruz.” My mother said sternly, greeting me at the door.

“Hey mother.” I said awkwardly.

“Don’t ‘Hey mother’ me.” She sais, ushering me inside. “Where’s your boyfriend?” She asked immediately, peering over my shoulder. “You brought him right?”

“Mother, relax! He’s just getting Ben out of the car. The little one fell asleep.”

“Oh.” She said, nodding in approval. We stood in the doorway conversing until Neal came bounding up the front steps, Ben asleep in his arms.

“And you must be Neal.” Mother said with a smile and gleam in her eyes.

“Yes ma’am.” He said, returning her smile.