Part 9

"Hey, beautiful. Is it ok if I call you that?" Nate smiles. "No. I'm just kidding. Yes, you can flirt with me, Nate." "Okay! Would you do me the honor of accompanying me to dinner and am at home movie?" He smiles. "Like a date?" I ask. "Well, it doesn't have to be. I'm just suggesting. Unless you don't want to because you know we don't have to and-" "I'd love to go on a date with you." I smile. "Wait, really?" He asks. "Yes, Nathan." I kiss him on the cheek and walk to his drawer. "Should i get fancy or just be ready to go in your clothes?" "Ouch. Haha. Fancy." "Why? Where are we going?" I ask. "McDonald's." "Then- actually, never mind. Fancy it is." I smile.
*a few minutes later*
I walk out of the bathroom all dressed up to see Nates back turned to me. He's wearing a suit. It fits him very well. He start to turn around when he finally speaks up. "Hey you re-.... wow." He pauses for a moment. "You look... wow." I giggle at his response. "Pick your jaw up Nate you'll catch flies." I smile. He fixes his tie and puts out his arm for me to grab, "My lady." He says. I hook arms with him and he walks me out to the car. He opens my car door. "After you." I smile at his gesture and quickly get in. "Thank you." He nods, closes the door, and gets in the drivers seat. "You ready?" "If you are." With that, he pulls out of the parking lot. "Music?" "Play Chasing." "Our song?" I nod. He nods and the song start playing. I listen closely and a few lyrics stick with me. 'Making you cry makes me feel like a bad person.' But it's the chorus that gets me. Maybe because I wrote it. 'I just wanna run away. Find somewhere that feels safe. Find somewhere the bad days... don't come as often in this sad phase. Somewhere I can be loved. Where I don't have to run away from my flaws. And I don't have to be afraid of my thoughts.' The next verse comes and I hun along. Then back came the chorus. "I just wanna run away. Find somewhere that feels safe. Find somewhere the bad days... don't come as often in this sad phase. Somewhere I can be loved. Where I don't have to run away from my flaws. And I don't have to be afraid of my thoughts. This high, this high that I've been chasing." "You know, you have a beautiful voice, and your song writing skills are amazing... hey... what if you helped me write some of my songs or maybe we became a duo?" I smile at his silly idea. "I can help you write, but since I have stage fright, I'm not ready for any long term commitment." "That's perfectly fine. We're here by the way." "Okay!" He gets out and opens my door for me. I grab his hand this time, not yet interlocking our fingers. "Hey, you okay?" He asks. "Yeah. I will be." "I'm here, okay?" I nod. We go inside and grab a table. We then go up and order our food and sit back down. I start humming the chorus to Chasing and Nate looks up at me. "I know somethings off. You don't have to tell me at all, but I'm here should you want to." I look at him. "Making you cry makes me feel like a bad person." I sing. He looks at me confused. "Did you mean it?" I ask. "Of course I meant it." "No, Nate. Do you still mean it?" "Yes I do. Of course I do." "I still need time to think but listening to that song puts me at peace so I can think." He nods. "I can tell you're proud of your chorus." "I just wrote what I felt, and I'm thinking about it. I still feel that way. I just want to escape reality. I just want to be safe and loved." I look down. "You are loved. By me, and I'll keep you safe." I smile at him. Then it happened. Our song... came on... in McDonald's. He stood up and took my hand in his. We sung along with our song. Until he looked me in the eyes and sang the two most important parts, and those two moments were all I could hear. "Making you cry makes me feel like a bad person." Then a what seemed almost i silent long pause the he continued. "Hey, guess what? I just wanna run away. Find somewhere that feels safe. Find somewhere the bad days.. don't come as often in this sad phase. Somewhere I can be loved. Where I don't have to run away from my flaws. And I don't have to be afraid of my thoughts. This high, this high that I've been chasing." Then it hit me. He felt this way too. He leaned in and it felt so right. His lips hit mine and I kissed I'm back immediately. I felt it. All of it. Loved, safe, and free. He was it. He's my escape. We finally broke it off and I looked him in the eyes. "You're my escape. I admitted. "I'm so glad you feel the same."