chapter 4

Crowley stayed in the bookshop for days, as he had done many times before. Aziraphale was often caught somewhere between wanting to sleep in Crowley's arms and not wanting to get to close to the demon. Crowley often remained silent about it, figuring the angel would relax over time. Eventually though, the demon found himself falling asleep on the angel's bed with the blonde facing him. In the slowest and most hesitant movement, Aziraphale leaned forward and placed his lips over Crowley's. The demon continued pretending to sleep so as not to scare the angel away. As the angel slowly pulled back, he raised his fingers to his tingling lip.

"I've missed that." He spoke softly. Crowley's golden orbs opened and looked gently at his angel. The demon silently wrapped an arm around the angel and pulled him closer. Aziraphale squeezed his eyes tight, embedding in his memory the Demon's musky, charcoal smell. And the sound of his corporation's steady heartbeat. And the feeling of warmth protecting the angel from the outside cold. Aziraphale's eyes relaxed, closed in exhaustion. He wasn't even aware he'd spoken the words that turned over in his head as he nestled closer to the Demon.

"I've fallen so far for you." The words made Crowley's heart break. He loved the Angel so completely and he didn't want his angel to hurt anymore. Crowley may be a fallen Angel but no Angel had fallen harder than Aziraphale had. As the Demon's fears of being without Aziraphale rose to the surface, his arms tightened around his love, ensuring that he would never be without his angel.

"Shhhh sh," Crowley whispered several hours later as Aziraphale whimpered and tossed in his sleep. The redhead lightly stroked Aziraphale in an attempt to calm the angel.

"You know Angel," Crowley eventually whispered to the still sleeping blond. "I may not be able to remember loving you before, but I know I did. I may not know when it was I knew I loved you, but I think I've loved you all along. Right from the day we met on that wall. I'm so glad that hell sent me up that day. I'm so glad I got to meet you. I'm so glad you were standing there on that wall. But most importantly, I'm so glad you stayed by my side." Somewhere within Crowley's monologue, the angel calmed and gently nuzzled into Crowley's chest. Crowley smiled lightly and continued speaking softly to the angel as he gently petted his blond.
"I would've given anything to have heard you say that you love me. And now I just want to hear it everyday. I want everything with you. And even if I never get the memories of those times back, you and I, we'll create new memories. We'll always be together. We'll always fight for our love." Crowley began to yawn and molded his body around Aziraphale's.
"I promise you," he whispered sleepily, "I'll love you always." With those words, Crowley drifted off into sleep.

----------------------------------------------------------

"Aziraphale," the Angel heard an authoritative voice speak.
"You have been chosen to protect my newest creation." She told him. The cherub looked confused.

"Great one, surely you're mistaken? I cannot possibly be the best fit for this role?"

"You shall not question me Aziraphale," she replied calmly
"You shall guard the Eastern gate of my Eden and ensure no beings enter. You must also ensure that no being, angel; demon, human or creature, eat the fruit of the forbidden trees."

"What should happen if I fail?"

"Do not fail Aziraphale. You are granted this sword of fire to assist you in your endeavor." A bright flash appeared before the angel and in it's place was a large flaming sword. As the blond gripped onto the blade, immense strength and power rushed through him. With a strong flap of his wings, he made his way into the Eden.

---------------------------------------------------------

Aziraphale awoke with a start. He lightly calmed and smiled gently as he found his head resting against Crowley's chest, while the demon tightly held him. The grip his demon kept soothed the angel's ancient memory. The Angel kept replaying the conversation over and over in his head while he listened to the redhead's heartbeat. Something kept bothering Aziraphale. A question. The type of question that frightened the angel. A question that was dangerous to ask. The type of question that would cause an angel to fall. 'why was the tree of knowledge and the tree of life forbidden to angels and demons?"

Both angels and demons knew by instinct what was good and what was evil, so the tree of knowledge should have no effect. And they both live eternally so the tree of life should also be of no concern.

Aziraphale knew the danger of the questions he wondered. But he also couldn't help but wonder if they held the answer to the two lovers' dilemma. He couldn't stop wondering. His mind kept racing. It'd been years since he'd had a new clue. But maybe this could be it. The answer he sought.

The pale being carefully snuck out of Crowley's arms, immediately regretting the loss of warmth. Scribbling a quick note onto a miracled notepad, the angel hurried away. His mind had been so active that he hadn't even realised when he reached michael's front door. He was on the verge of knocking when the door opened, revealing an exhausted looking Michael.

"Aziraphale?" She questioned in surprise.
"What is it?"

"I think I can bring their memories back. But I need your help."