Chapter 6

The two angels had been traveling for almost two days straight. Aziraphale's wings were heavy and aching. He had never been confident flying long distances. And he hadn't flown such a distance for such a long time. He was exhausted and weary.

"Are you okay Aziraphale?" Michael asked the paler than usual angel. Aziraphale attempted a smile but was far too out of breath.

"I'll be fine." He responded tightly. Michael descended to the ground followed closely by Aziraphale.

"Come on, let's take a break for a minute." She offered. Aziraphale shook his head.

"No, we have to keep going!"

"Aziraphale, you've been living among humans, you're not used to relying this much on your divinity. And you rarely use your wings. It's understandable that you'd be tired. So there's no need to overexert yourself. Besides what do you think your demon would do to me if you discorporated from exhaustion?" This sent Aziraphale's thoughts back to Crowley. He wondered if the demon was awake yet. If he'd read the note. If he was angry at the angel. He knew Michael was right. Crowley would be furious if Aziraphale discorporated. Especially now, with no way of getting a new corporation. It had only been a few days, but God how he missed his demon. But now he knew more than ever that he had to do everything in his power to ensure that he could keep Crowley safe.

"I'm fine now Michael, thank you. Let's keep going." Without another word, Aziraphale leapt into the sky, followed by the archangel.

"We're almost there," Michael told him when she quickly caught up. "Another few hours max." Aziraphale nodded and with a burst of energy, sped up. The archangel sighed and matched the principality's speed.

Finally, the angel's landed on the ground in front of a tall stone Wall.

"How is this place not discovered by humans?" Aziraphale asked, looking up at the wall's height.

"When the almighty grew the Amazon around the Eden, she ensured that the Amazons were aware that they were too never enter and that they were to protect this forest from anyone who would enter. Then after that, you've got the guardians." Aziraphale nodded in understanding.
"This is as far as I'll go Aziraphale. Do you know your way back from here."

"Yes Michael. Thank you for your help. And when I return, I shall offer you the fruit as well." Michael hesitantly nodded before shooting into the sky to return home. Aziraphale flew himself around to the Eastern gate which had been long since closed off. That didn't matter though, for when Adam and Eve left the garden, they didn't use the gate, but a small hole in the great wall which had been filled in by Aziraphale himself. And none but Aziraphale knew where the gap had been. It didn't take long for the Angel to reach it and begin tiredly removing the stones.

Crowley however was beginning to fade after his days of travel. His concern for the man he loved increased. He knew Aziraphale was not a strong flyer, and if he was weak, how must the angel be? His fear rapidly increased his speed. His need to reach his angel overpowering him. The thoughts of Aziraphale taking up so much of his mind, that he almost missed the glistening light of two large wings, not far away.

"Michael?" He spoke. By some miracle, the archangel heard him and stopped in her tracks.

"Crowley?" She replied, gliding over to him. Fear stung at the demon as he saw her alone.

"W... Where's Aziraphale?" She bit her lip a little before replying.

"He's at the Eden."

"You left him there alone!?"

"I told him it was a crazy idea and that I wasn't willing to return to the Eden, but he was determined!"

"Why!? What could possibly be so important that he'd risk his life to go back there!?" Michael met his eyes, with barely noticable tears in them.

"He thinks he can bring back your memories. Both yours and Ligur's. And he thinks he can stop this curse that prevents Angels and demons from being together." Crowley's eyes widened.

"What!?" Crowley wasn't sure how to feel. But there was one emotion above all others that remained. Fear. Crowley knew well and truly that there was nothing in the universe worth losing Aziraphale for.

"You should go to him Crowley. He's so determined that he's acting recklessly. He wouldn't even let himself rest, despite his evident exhaustion." This frightened the demon even more.

"Then why did you leave him!?"

"Because I don't want to fall. He may not care, but I do."

"He's going to fall?" Crowley asked quietly.

"The almighty made it very clear that no Angel, Demon or human was to touch the forbidden fruit. The last time it was touched, the universe changed forever. There's no telling what might happen this time." Crowley was even more frightened that he had been before. So now, not only could he die, he could also fall? Desperation to get to his angel increased. He couldn't live without Aziraphale, so he was just going to get to him before anything happened.

"I... I need to..." Crowley began. Michael nodded with a weak smile.

"Go." The demon didn't need to be told twice before zooming towards the Eden, desperately praying for the angel to be alright.

After what felt like hours but in reality was only twenty minutes, Aziraphale had broken his way back into the Eden. It was as beautiful as he remembered, but the feeling of purity that used to be the Eden's most attractive feature, was now gone. Replaced with a thick air that made the Angel shiver.

Even as fear began to envelop the angel, all he had to do was picture his beautiful demon and he had the strength to keep moving forward. He managed to stay out of sight of the angel's flying overhead with their golden and silver armor. One of the benefits of hanging around humanity for so long was that his angelic scent had been masked.

Finally he was able to reach the center. Two identical trees grew side by side. Aziraphale could feel the immense power radiating off them. The tree of knowledge and the tree of life. Aziraphale stared at them. He had no evidence this would work. He had no clue if the fruit would even be safe for the demon to eat. As the angel outstretched his hand, it vaguley crossed his mind that taking this fruit could cause him to fall down into the pits of hell. But at that point, he just didn't care. There was only one thing his body and soul craved for. Crowley.

Aziraphale reached out to pull the fruit from the tree when suddenly his body stopped. He had no idea why. He couldn't move. He felt a fierce pain radiating through his body. And before he knew anymore, the world had gone dark and all feeling had left his body. All thoughts had run away. But somewhere in the depths of his mind, he could hear his demon calling out to him.