Chapter 7

Crowley had finally reached the stupid wall of the Eden. He wisked himself around to the far side, because where else would his Angel enter from than from the East. He found the gap in the wall that Aziraphale had created for the humans millennia ago.

It didn't take him long to spot the blond hair of his Angel, staring up at the trees before him. Crowley gently smiled in relief and went to take another step towards his Angel, when in a flash, he saw something rapidly moving towards the blond. Crowley's eyes widened and he yelled out the angel's name. But it was too late. A flaming arrow had pierced into the angel's side, released by a nearby guardian.

In a blinding fury, Crowley launched up and attacked the guardian who dared harm his beloved. The demon had no difficulty taking possession of one of the guardian's own arrows and plunging it into his chest. After watching him fall to the ground, Crowley raced back to his and and bundled the angel into his arms.

"Aziraphale... Aziraphale, angel!" Crowley tried. His fears had come true. He was going to lose his Angel. Crowley sobbed as he gently plucked the arrow from the angel. Placing his hand over the wound, he miracled it closed. He held onto the Angel tighter, wanting to share his whole being with the angel if that's what it took to save him.

In an instant, the two were surrounded by guardians. There was no escape. Crowley didn't care. There was no universe worth living in without Aziraphale. He just sat with the angel on his lap and his body melded around the angel's, waiting for the fatal blows. That was until the angel's body began to glow brightly. There was a slight burning reaching the Demon's skin, but he refused to let go. Suddenly, the angel floated before him, bright golden armor covering his skin, six wings with golden eyes stretching from his back and a sharp flaming sword in his hand.

"Aziraphale!" Crowley muttered in awe. Upon seeing the new guardian, those that surrounded them backed away, feeling the immense power emanating from the cherub. They knew they had no chance. They had no power compared to someone like the cherub Aziraphale. Not a word had to be said. The guardians dispersed and Aziraphale found his footing on the ground where his armor and wings disappeared.

With a sniffle, Crowley launched himself at Aziraphale, tightly holding the angel. The blond frowned as he held onto the shaking demon. He could feel Crowley's fear so plainly. He had never meant to make his love so upset.

"I'm sorry my dear." He soothed gently.

"Why!? Why did you have to be so reckless Angel!?" The demon exclaimed through tears. Aziraphale's heart hurt at Crowley's broken voice.

"I... I wanted us to be okay." Aziraphale let out a breath.
"I'm so sorry sweetheart. I was a fool to leave you behind and I was a fool to not tell you what I was doing."

"Damn right! You could've died! You nearly did! What do you expect me to do if you're gone!? I can't live without you Angel!" Silent tears fell from the Angel as he stroked his demon's back. He realised then just his reckless he had been and silently begged for a way out of the detrimental mistake he had made.

"Crowley..."

"Come on Angel, please, let's get out of here." Aziraphale pulled Crowley back into his chest as he began to pull away. He wasn't ready to let the demon see his tears. But the demon could hear them.
"Angel?" He queried softly.

"I can't Crowley," he spoke, making sure to hold onto the demon so as not to look at his face.
"The holy flame will kill anything but a cherub." Crowley snaked away, finally meeting the angel's eyes.

"But you are a cherub?"

"Only while I'm within these walls. Once I leave, I will be demoted to what I was before. The Eden knows that I am a guardian, that's why it returned me to that state. Once I leave, the power will too." Crowley thought long and hard. He wasn't going to leave his angel here and he sure as hell wasn't going to live without the angel.

"Then we'll take the Eden with us." Crowley spoke nonchalantly.

"What!?" Aziraphale exclaimed. "Crowley the ecosystem created here keeps the Earth alive. We can't change that."

"Then I'll stay here with you." Aziraphale's eyes softened at the demon.

"My dearest, it's far too dangerous. Besides, you can't leave your life behind to stay here." Crowley gripped the angel's shoulders.

"Why can't you understand Angel? You are my life." Aziraphale trembled a little. He didn't know what to say. His heart was breaking. Perhaps there was a solution, but was he willing to place his demon in danger for it? Of course not. Aziraphale sighed.

"Just... Sit with me dear, will you?"  Crowley hesitated, but without saying a word, he sat down with his angel between the two forbidden trees, sheltered by their branches. Aziraphale's head rested gently on Crowley's shoulder while Crowley had his arm wrapped tightly around the angel, while the other clutched Aziraphale's hand. While sadness filled the Angel, Crowley was desperately searching for a solution. He could feel his Angel's depression and wanted more than anything, to make it go away.

"I'm not going to leave you here," Crowley whispered as he lightly kissed the blond hair. Aziraphale didn't respond, but his hand clung tighter onto Crowley's. Slowly the angel raised his head. He could sense something new in the air. He reacted faster than lightning. Flashing up into the air, with widespread wings, clutching Crowley to him. Crowley gasped in a start, holding onto the Angel as they watched a rainfall of holy water drown where they had been sitting.

"Thanks Angel," Crowley murmured, still in fright. Crowley carefully pulled out his own wings to support his own weight. This didn't stop the angel from keeping his arm around the Demon's back and a hand on his arm.

"It makes sense now, you know," Aziraphale spoke, seemingly to thin air.
"The reason you hated me so much for all those millennia. I just wish I had have understood your jealousy sooner." Crowley looked at him confused until another voice replied with a forced chuckle.

"Jealousy? Is that what you think?" Suddenly, descending from above, appeared Gabriel.

"Of course. I have the one thing you didn't. And although I do feel sorry for you, that doesn't give you an excuse to try and harm us."

"Let's get one thing clear Aziraphale," Gabriel snarled threateningly.
"I am not jealous."

"You are. And you're lonely. And you're heartbroken. And that's okay Gabriel. But it's not okay to take it out on others."

"You have no idea what you're talking about!" The archangel snapped.

"Oh doesn't he Gabriel?" A new voice chimed in. Gabriel and Crowley both stiffened at the voice, meanwhile, Aziraphale was able to release just a smidge of his tension. They all turned to look at the arrived party. Gabriel stuttered a bit before finally being able to choke out a word.

"Beezlebub?"