Chapter 9

The pair paused at the exit to the Eden.

"Are you alright Angel?" Aziraphale squeezed Crowley's hand.

"Absolutely terrified." Terrified of the pain he's about to experience. Terrified that the forbidden fruit won't work. Terrified that Crowley doesn't love him.

"My Angel. My beautiful, perfect, wonderful angel." Crowley whispers.
"Everything we face, from now until forever, we face together." He knew the demon was right. That didn't make him any less afraid. But it did give him courage. Even if it didn't work, it was still worth trying. It was worth the chance to be with Crowley.

Taking a deep breath, Aziraphale took a step out of the Eden. For several moments, he felt fine. Then burning pain sliced through the angel, who fell to the floor. He reached for the fruit he had dropped to the ground, but he couldn't. The pain seared him. It felt like someone gripping into his insides and throwing them into a shredder.

Crowley quickly collected the apple and miracled a sharp blade to slice a small section, which he then attempted to feed to the angel.
Aziraphale struggled against him, writhing and moaning in pain.

"Come on Angel, you need to eat it." Crowley's shaking voice spoke. He gently stroked the angel's cheek with the Back of his fingers. Aziraphale whimpered.
"Angel, eat it for me." Crowley gently placed the sliver of apple near the angel's mouth. Leaning forward, the angel bit the little piece into his mouth. Gradually the pain subsided. He felt weak and tired, but no longer in pain. Crowley played with the hair along Aziraphale's forehead as he allowed the angel to recover.

"Crowley?" Aziraphale's quiet little voice rang.

"Hmm?"

"I'm not sure I can fly home. Can we just stay local for a little while?"

"I can carry you home if you want angel?" Aziraphale shook his head.

"No dear, you must be exhausted already. I can't ask you to do that."

"You don't need to angel. I can take us home."

"I have no doubt about that. But I just want to go somewhere safe where I can just be with you." Crowley nodded.

"Okay Angel." Crowley helped Aziraphale to his feet. The angel stumbled a little, but with help from his demon, the two rose into the sky. They didn't speak while their wings dragged them through the sky. Their exhaustion wouldn't allow for words.

Every so often the aches of the angel's feathered muscles would falter and he would glide straight down. Each time, Crowley would look at him worriedly and be an instant away from diving to catch him. Agonizing hours passed until eventually they found a small town with a little motel. Crowley had well and truly decided he'd had enough of watching his love suffer, so he gripped onto the angel's hand and guided him down.

Aziraphale had almost collapsed the second they had entered the door to their room. Snaking an arm around the angel's waist, Crowley guided him over to the bed, where he carefully sat the angel down. In exhausted motions, the demon slowly began taking off the Angel's shoes, placing them to the side. Then he unbuttoned the coat, shrugging it off the nearly sleeping blond. He continued until all that remained was the angel's pants and undershirt.

Aziraphale just stared at the demon as he helped him undress. When Crowley had finished, he gently lay the angel down. Removing the layer of discomfort from his own body, he tucked himself in beside the angel, holding him tight. Aziraphale wanted to say something. To thank his demon. To tell him how much he loved him. Something that conveyed how the angel felt. But nothing came. He was depleted. He couldn't force out any words. So instead, he threaded himself as tightly into Crowley's arms as he could.

"Shhhh," The demon whispered, softly rubbing the angel's back. Aziraphale gripped so tightly onto Crowley's body. He was desperate to convey without words, the need he had for his demon. Gently the demon kissed the top of Aziraphale's temple. Not long after, they both fell into a deep sleep.

It had been a little over twenty-four hours that the pair had slept for. It was Aziraphale that had woken first. His body still ached and he still found himself tired, but when he woke, he was filled with the immense pleasure of being in Crowley's arms. He wouldn't dare move away for anything. 

He watched his demon right up until the hours later when he stirred from sleep. Golden eyes rested on the Angel. Crowley smiled lightly and snuggled himself further into Aziraphale.

Aziraphale smiled and drew gentle circles on the Demon's back. For hours they just remained holding each other. Embedding the memory into their brains. Ensuring that neither one would ever forget how good they felt together.