a message to be broadcasted from the top of the world

dedicated to all those whose identities fall under the umbrella-like flag that is rainbow.

first, to the children-

i hope you know the red of our banners to represent love, rather than the blood - your blood, our blood - spilled because of who we are. i hope you love without fear. i hope you can be without fear.

second, to the teenagers-

the society we live in is not by any means kind to you. it will tell you that you should not embrace the feelings nagging at you. different is good. never, ever forget it. when you're overwhelmed, when you feel like death is the only escape, know that a thousand others have stood in your place. have the bravery in your heart to ride out the storm.

third, to the new adults-

whether you are accepted and unaccepted for speaking your truth, know that the fight does not end with your peace. it ends when all of us have found peace. it ends when we can both love and be without forever checking our throats for tightly squeezing hands.

fourth, to the parents-

to those queer and not. know that your child is not defined by who they love, but rather why they love. know that their pains are caused by your failures. accept it. take responsibility. try your best not to break the fragile being that you have bestowed with life.

fifth, to the grandparents-

especially to the intolerant ones. the best gift you can give - better than christmas money, i dare say - is your acceptance. times have changed from 1989. this is not the same world. know that value doesn't lie with who you lie with or who you don't. know that value doesn't have anything to do with gender. educate yourselves, so that you don't have the blood of your kin on your hands.

lastly, to myself-

know that on your worst days and your best, there is something worth loving in you. i promise that someday you will find it, if only you have the courage to keep looking.