7. she's something else

NICK

What the hell was wrong with me? How could I be distracted just like that? It hasn't even been a day since she's here and I'm already acting like her inamorato. She must think her boss is a pervert. What a great first impression I gave her.

I recalled several times how she walked in, looking professional and graceful concurrently. How hair strands framed her face and I had the urge to push them behind her ears. How she scanned my room and then looked into my eyes. We both held each other's gazes, and then she cognised, blinked her eyes and sat down in front of me.

Was it really, her?

My phone rang and I picked it up in a brown study.

'What?' I asked harshly.

'Good night to you too dear.'

'Sorry Mum' I sighed.

'It's okay. Is everything all right?'

'Everything would have been all right, if I had been sober enough and not freaked someone out.'

'Were you drinking Nicholas? Whom did you misbehave with?' she asked sternly.

'I wasn't drinking Mum and I didn't misbehave with anyone. It was more of a close, moment with her.'

'Did you just say "Her"?' she asked, enunciating the last word. 'What's her name? How does she look? Does she make you happy—'

'Oh Ms. Deshmukh...' I muttered, taking the phone away from my ear and then put it back on. 'Mum no! Forget it. I don't want to talk about it. Bye.'

'Okay, okay. Let me tell what I called you for. Your father and I need to go to France. Your gram isn't well. I got a call from Samuel at morning and he told me about this.'

Samuel Marchand is my mother's elder brother. Gram and Pépère live in France with my uncle and his family.

'What? Is she okay? Did Uncle Samuel tell you how this happened?'

'I don't know anything right now. That's why we're leaving for France at the end of this week. We need to find someone to babysit Jacob as you busy yourself with work all time and go home directly at night. Nina has a life too. She can't be with Jacob constantly.'

'I—yes. I'll try to find someone to look after Jacob. Call me as soon as you know how Gram's health is. Take care of yourself and Dad.'

'I will, don't worry dear. Go home now, your son awaits. Love you' she said and ended the call.

I loosened my tie. This was going to be so difficult. My parents would help me, but I've to find someone who'll take proper care of my son and not just babysit him for my attention. Soon. I got a text from Lorenzo earlier. He was back to the underground parking lot. I took my phone, got up and made my way out. Taylor stood near my car with the other bodyguards in the parking lot. He is one of my trusted men.

The ride back home was suffocating. As soon as the car stopped, I got out, and sprinted towards a lift. It opened at my floor and I cleared out of it and rang my door bell.

Nina, our housekeeper, opened the door and welcomed me in. I directly went to Jake's room. He was fast asleep. I miss spending time with my son. All because I keep overworking without thinking how it affects my family, how it affects me. Sighing, I get to my room. After I took a shower, I went to the dining room to eat. Nina had already set the food on the table.