8. be my friend

SHARU

The next day I was talking with Hazel about getting a part-time job.

'You can become an ice-cream scooper' she said.

'Nah. Becoming an ice-cream confectioner when I'm obsessed with it? Bad idea.'

'What about a part-time waitress?' suggested Hazel.

'I don't know' I said.

'If there's a problem then you can become a bartender. There's a bar—'

'NO! Jeez, are you trying to make my parents kick me out of their house? They won't exactly fancy me doing these jobs' I said, wide-eyed.

'Sorry sorry! Oh, there's this bakehouse not exactly far from where you live. They need more help. This may be a good job for you' she said.

'I won't get a job there.'

'Why not?' she asked looking puzzled.

'I can't bake, Haze.'

'Don't worry about that. I'll teach you! Well, not me but my mum will. Let's schedule a baking session at the evening then!'

We were interrupted by someone clearing their throat and we turned our heads.

'Sorry to interrupt. I was just passing by when I heard you ladies' said Marco.

Hazel's phone rang and she excused herself.

'Now I can talk to you privately' said Marco. 'My friend* and I were talking yesterday when he told me that he needed urgent help.'

'Not to be rude but why, are you telling me this?' I asked.

'Because it will benefit you both. He needs someone to look after his grandchild for a few hours. Someone patient, loving, empathetic.'

'Oh. But what makes you think I have or I can show those qualities?'

'I have a good feeling about you being the exact person he is looking for. You need a part-time job anyway and this seems like a perfect opportunity. Also, the place is near where you live. Let me know your decision before you leave.'

Marco smiled and left, leaving me to my thoughts. Why did he want to hide this from Hazel? I think I should keep it that way then. If she asks, I'll just tell her the basics.

'So what did I miss?' asked Hazel.

'He suggested me a babysitting job which is near where I live.'

'Take it girl!' she exclaimed.

'What? I don't know. I knew a girl with an awful babysitting experience.'

'Calm down Baby S. What if this job changes your life for good? Like, train you for your potential kids? Won't it be helpful? And you don't have to go anywhere far! Let's be optimistic.' said Hazel patting my shoulder.

I nodded, still unsure. I didn't understand why I was overthinking more. After the lunch break was over, I went to my office and started working again. There was a hotel in progress in New York and I was going through some reports on it. Been one day to office and I already know the gossips here. One of the everyday topics was why our boss was single when he had everything—money, fame, money again, good looks and more money. I didn't have an opinion on this but I realised one thing. No matter which country or place it is, people love to tell tales about every bloody thing.

An employee knocked on my door an hour later and lead me to his cubicle workstation where he had some employment-related information for me. I was listening to what he was saying when I felt someone's eyes on me. I turned and my eyes met his. We stared at each other for a few minutes when I was called by the employee which made me break the stare. When I turned around again, my boss was gone. Weird. I made my way towards Marco's cabin which was smaller than mine.