⁶ Asthma

"Today's guest in the late late show is no one else then the band one direction themselves!", James Cordon announced happily.
Niall, Louis, Liam, Harry and Zayn all sat on the little white couch, pressed tightly together but not caring at all.
Why would they tho? They've been on the road for nearly four years now together, a bit cuddling on the couch would do absolutely nothing.

Harry sat at the end nearest to James, Louis right besides him. Zayn followed and Niall and then Liam at the opposite end from the curly lad.
"Let's talk about your new album. It has the creative name four which is really good thought of for your fourth album.", James said sarcastically and the audience laughed.
Louis smiled sassy at James before answering: "Says the man with the name every parent named their kid when they forgot to think of a name."
"Hey!", Niall and Liam complained at the same time, hitting Louis slightly since both their middle names were James.

While the interview kept going Niall suddenly felt his chest tighten.
Not now he thought.
Niall had asthma since he was a little kid and so he knew exactly how it felt right before he would need his inhaler.
Since the people found out about Harry having asthma, Modest! was even stricter with the irish lad about his sickness because they didn't want that kind of publicity about the band.
They're a boyband, not a support group of sick teenager management had said.

Niall tried. He really, really tried to take deep breath but without being obvious. If the camera was in the right angle maybe nobody would notice. James was way too deep in a conversation with Harry and Louis, so he wouldn't notice also. But Niall knew that his fans would. He quite often saw tweets which said things like "did you notice how tired the boys looked today?" Or "did u notice Niall limping on the red carpet? Do you think his knee is fine?" Or even "oh no you could see Zayns hands shaking. Our baby is suffering from all the stress, give him a break."

Niall loved his fans for being so attentive but at some days, like today, it wasn't a good thing. If anyone would notice Niall struggling on an interview he would be kicked out of the band before he could say Worcestershiresauce.
The boys were supposed to get publicity, yes. But not from sickness or mental struggling.
So Niall just couldn't have an asthma attack now.
It just wasn't possible.
Even without Modest! in their neck he wouldn't want to be sick on live tv but management just made it even worse. Like it was his fault his lungs were shitty.

Niall tried so hart not to show his struggles that he didn't notice James was speaking to him until Louis leaned over Zayn and slapped Nialls leg.
"Ouch.", he said dryly. Atleast it sounded like this, the truth was that he just couldn't get enough air in his lungs.
"Nialls seems distracted.", Louis joked. "Maybe thinking about Carly Rae Japsen."
"Why?", James asked amused.
"It's a funny story actually...", Louis began, but Niall soon stopped listening again.

But in this concentration Niall didn't  notice Liam and Zayn sending each other worried glances.
Liam also noticed Nialls weird way of breathing.
When it became clear that something was wrong Liam put his arm all around Niall on the couch so it only would look like him stretching.
But instead of resting his arm on the arm rest Liam tapped Niall three times on the shoulder.

It was probably two years ago when the boys started doing it.
When one of the lads seemed really uncomfortable in a situation or just wasn't looking good they would tap them on the shoulder three times to ask them if they're okay. The asked boy would reply with either three taps on the part of his body his hands were resting on right now and show that he was fine or two times which meant he wasn't.
And it that cases the boys made sure to get the bandmate out of situations like this.

And right now it was a Situation like this.
Niall tapped his knee two times and Liam automatically straightened his back, now knowing for sure that his bandmate wasn't feeling well.
For their sake they didn't just have a secret code for not feeling good, they also had one for Paul so he would know when he should get his boys out of a situation.
Liam made sure to open and close his fist three times, so Paul could see it watching behind the stage.

It took only a few second until James announced a little break, probably getting information through his earins.
When the red light on the cameras stopped blinking Niall knew that they stopped filming and immediately collapsed into Liam, holding his hands pressed to his chest.

"Shit!", Louis cursed and jumped up from the couch to sit infront of his struggling bandmate.
"Niall, what's wrong? Talk too me.", Liam said in a voice that failed in hiding his panic.
"A-Ast...breath. can't.", Niall tried to get out, motioned to his chest.
"Get his inhaler!", Zayn instructed since he was the first to understand what was wrong with Niall.

Harry immediately jumped up to run behind the stage and get the medication his friend needed right now.
Nialls wheezing got worse and worse with every second and he started to panic, his blue eyes flicking around helpless.
"You're gonna be okay mate. Harry will be back asap.", Zayn told the second youngest member while stroking his arm.

Even if it felt like forever it only took Harry a couple of seconds until he was back on stage und pressed the inhaler to the older boys lips who gladly took a pump.
Niall tried to hold it for a few seconds and as soon as the air could get in his lungs without problems he collapsed against Liam, shaking slightly.

"You're okay?", James asked who had watched the boys worried.
"Yeah... I'm fine...", Niall said still a bit short of breath.

It only took a few minutes for him to collect himself and the boys could keep going with the interview.

***
Please shoot me for this shitty ending