Chapter 5

It was endearing how much George cared about Dream sometimes.

Ever since they had met when they were 15, they had been almost next to inseparable, including Sapnap.

The first time Dream had met George, they had almost accidentally stumbled into each other.

George had been carrying a water bucket, carefully walking along the path to make sure not to spill a drop of it.

"Dream! Get back here!" Sapnap was yelling after him. Dream stuck his tongue out, and kept running.

George turned his head slightly and saw the boy running close towards him, not looking straightforward, he yelled out, "hey! Watch where you're going!"

Dream stopped, breathing heavily, he peered at the brunette's face.

It was scrunched up with disgust and it made Dream giggle.

Sapnap caught up with his friend, and then patted him on the back, taking deep breaths between words, "you... are very... fast..."

"Thank you," Dream smiled, and then looked back at the boy, who was continuing on his journey with his water bucket.

"Hey!" Dream caught up with him, "what's your name?"

The boy kept walking at his slow pace, "now why would you want to know that?"

Dream didn't have an answer right away.

"That's what I thought," the brunette retorted.

"Hey, hey, hey, that's not fair! Maybe we could be friends!" Dream pointed out.

"Maybe. Maybe not." He stopped, turning to the blonde, "I don't waste my time on friends."

"What, why?"

"Because no matter what you do, you can't make them stay. Now, if you excuse me, I have to get this inside." And with that, he went inside his house.

"Well that went well," Sapnap joked. Dream elbowed him, "we'll be friends, you'll see."

And so from that day on, Dream met George at the well everyday until he finally got his name.

"You again?" George rolled his eyes, scooping up the water from the well, and Dream smiled, "yeah!"

"George! George!" A boy ran up to him, waving a book tauntingly in his face, "I got a new copy of that time traveller heroes book!"

George grinned, "finally! You've been waiting for that for months, Karl."

"I'll let you borrow it when I'm done!" Karl waved to him as he ran away, and George called after him, "I can't wait!"

"So your name's George?" Dream whispered, and George froze, and then sighed.

"Yeah, it is."

Dream smirked, his days of waiting at the well for George had paid off.

"Now you have to be friend," Dream pointed out, and George glared at him, "I don't think that's how it works."

"I think that's exactly how it works."

"Um, no."

"Yeah."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

Dream got an idea, "no?"

"Yes," George's eyes widened almost immediately, "hey no! That's not fair!"

"You said yes! Ha! We're friends now," Dream smiled proudly and George couldn't help but have a small smile on his face.

"Anyways, I gotta go. Same place, same time?" Dream confirmed before walking away.

"Fine." George tried not to let his excitement show. When Dream walked away he got back to his house as soon as he could.

He set down the water on the table and the biggest smile came upon his face.

"I made a friend," he said aloud to no one in particular–his mother was at work.

He danced around a little. No matter how much he had pushed Dream away, and shot him down, he kept coming back.

That seemed like a good friend, right?

————

When George had asked Dream to basically just not go to the Nether, he almost considered not going.

He thought about it for about a split second, and then he had shook his head. He had to do this.

Maybe they'd find something cool. Like...
Glowing flowers?

Are you dumb. Flowers won't grow there, it's hot and there's lava everywhere. Plus there's no sun, or water.

He sighed. Maybe he could bring George a gift from the Nether. What things did Techno say there was there?

Mushrooms... Gold... Yeah... None of that seemed good enough for George.

A soft knock was heard at his door, and he called, "come in."

"Hey, so, apparently the whole Nether thing has been moved," Techno leaned against his doorframe, arms crossed, "we're leaving in a week."

"A week?" Dream sat up on his bed. It had been almost a month since everyone had gotten the letter, but to move the trip by an entire month?

"Yeah, something about the king being impatient or whatever," Techno muttered, "you would think to rule a kingdom you'd need endless patience."

"Yeah, no kidding," Dream scoffed, "how am I supposed to tell my best friend that I'm going away sooner than what was originally planned?"

"Sorry Dream, but unfortunately that's how it's gonna work, do me a favour though?"

"Yeah, what is it?"

"Can you go tell Sapnap? He's at the library with Karl and George," Techno picked a lint ball of his shirt, "you might wanna leave now."

"Yeah, okay," Dream got up off his bed and walked down the halls to the main entrance, deciding to jog to the library.

When he entered he saw the three boys giggling and pointing at a book.

"Hey, Sapnap... Could I talk to you?" Dream asked and Sapnap nodded, "actually I have to talk to you too."

"Oh?" Dream's voice was filled with surprise, and the duo walked over behind a bookcase.

"Can I go first? Please?" Sapnap begged, his eyes pleading. Dream shrugged. It couldn't be any worse than the news he had.

Sapnap got a big smile on his face, and then looked around, making sure no one was near to hear what he had to say, and when the coast was clear, he looked back at Dream.

"I think I'm in love with Karl."

WC: 972