7- Meeting Aslan Across the Melting River

"Do you remember what he said? Winter's almost over." Peter said.

"No more ice." Alicia said, following up.

No more ice. The Pevensies and Alicia walked towards the river which already started to melt.

"We need to cross now." Peter said in panic.

"Don't beavers make dams?" Lucy asked, looking at the Beaver couple.

"I'm not that fast, dear." Mr. Beaver said.

"We need to cross," Peter said, holding Lucy's arm and starting towards the river.

"Peter wait, just think about this for a moment." Susan said from behind Alicia.

"We don't have time to think about it." Peter argued.

"I'm just trying to be logical." Susan retorted.

"No, you're just trying to be smart, as usual," Peter said. Susan looked hurt and annoyed.

"She doesn't have to try, she already is smart you of all people should know that, she's your sister. And Suzy I think we have no other choice." Alicia said. Peter walked away with Lucy, a bit hurt with how Alicia talked to him. It was then she realized that she must've sounded rude, but she'd apologize later. Right now, they needed to cross the river.

"Thanks for that." Susan whispered to Alicia as they walked.

"No problem. Friends stick for friends, right?" Alicia said, and Susan nodded.

"I think he's a bit hurt." Susan said, nodding to Peter.

"Yeah. I'll apologize later." Alicia said softly.

"Hmm... wonder why he's hurt?" Susan mused.

"Susan-" Alicia began, but was cut off by Susan.

"Oh, come on, it's so obvious. You both like each other, Ally." Susan whisper-shouted.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Alicia said, not looking at Susan, unaware of the small smile on her own face.

"Really? Then why does your necklace glow when Peter's near?" Susan asked. Alicia flushed, but didn't answer, making Susan smirk.

"Maybe I should go first." Mr. Beaver suggested.

"Maybe you should." Peter agreed. Mr. Beaver walked and tapped the ice with his tail.

"You've been sneaking second helpings, haven't you?" Mrs. Beaver asked.

"Well, you never know which meal is your last, especially with your cooking," Mr. Beaver said, continuing his work.

A howl was head in the distance, making everyone walk.

"Ah!" Lucy screamed when she almost fell, but luckily Peter caught her and they continued walking.

"If mum knew what we were doing-" Susan started, but Peter cut her off.

"Mum's not here." he snapped. Alicia raised her eyebrows at him, but didn't say anything.

"Oh no, they're here!" Lucy said as they heard howling getting louder, and indeed, the wolves came in view.

"Come on!" Alicia said, holding Susan's arm as Peter held Lucy's. They started running, but were cornered as one of the wolves lunged on Mr. Beaver. and another one on Alicia, knowing she could attack them. Alicia didn't say anything, just stared into his eyes calmly but deeply.

"No!" Mrs. Beaver and Susan said together, as Peter unsheathed his sword.

"Put that thing away boy." Maugrim, the leader, said, as Peter, Susan, Lucy and Mrs. Beaver backed away. Peter quickly glanced at Alicia and saw her conscious, little relief flooding through him.