Chapter 13 - Sweet Pretense

ᴛʜᴇ ᴄʀɪᴍꜱᴏɴ ᴛʏʀᴀɴᴛ

-

One of the deep secrets of life is that all that is really worth the doing is what we do for others.

-Alice in Wonderland-

-

"Are photographs and reports the only thing that I am required to do?"

The man with the mask similar to a raven tilted his head to the side as his ever so glowing golden orbs of eyes gave the boy a piercing stare. "Tell me little one, what does it take to truly do your job?"

The lavender haired boy paused at this before his eyes shined determined and resolute.

-

"This is the last one... There! Alright, we're finished!" Exclaimed the bluenette.

The group of students spent hours upon hours in the kitchen as the sky slowly darkened. Joyous laughter and chatter were to be heard as they worked. Counters littered with specs of flour and sugar could be seen, as well as the droplets of filling for the tart that was spilled by accident while working. The sun is nearing to set with the cold breeze making its way inside the kitchen through the cracks and tiny holes on the windows.

-

"It is getting quite late"

"That it is, perhaps we shall continue this discussion tomorrow?"

-

"Ah...!! We finally finished peeling them all!" Said Ace with a breath of exhaustion.

"My arms hurt..." Deuce added as sweat came rolling down on his face and onto his chin. The bluenette wiped it with a clean towel that was presently available for them to use to not let anything unsanitary drop onto the batter by accident.

Trey laughed at the relief-filled features that were present in both of his junior dorm mates. "Great work. I'm sure that your hard work will all be worth it."

"I do hope so" Maruyake muttered as he peeked at the slowly dimming light outside, a sign for the moon to almost rise. Grim on the other hand practically plopped himself on top of Maruyake's head as he sighed out of exhaustion.

"I'm getting hungry just by the smell, yanno~"

The Heartslabyul senior gave everyone in the room a kind and heartwarming smile, making most of them either missed or ignored the mischievous glint that shone in his eyes. "The marron base uses butter and sugar. And then, I also added some oyster sauce as a secret ingredient."

"Of course..." said Ace unconsciously, as he started to clean himself. Patting his hand on his sadly ruined red vest, he made sure to at the very least clear out the most obvious traces of flour. Only Trey was able to wear an apron as the rest of them were covered in flour or tart filling. Apparently, a handful of Scarabia students were using the school's kitchen prior to Trey's arrival. Most of the tools used were cleaned and properly placed back, unfortunately, the aprons had been dirtied to be of further use, so the set of students had them washed.

Silence rang in the entire room, as everyone prepped for the next thing to do.

That is...

Until something clicked.

"Oyster sauce?!" Both the ginger and Deuce yelled in unison as Grim only made a confused tilt of his head from the sudden outburst. Maruyake on the other hand blinked a few times, unbelieving as he looked doubtful towards the senior.