Chapter 15 - Something isn't Always as it Seems

ᴛʜᴇ ᴄʀɪᴍꜱᴏɴ ᴛʏʀᴀɴᴛ

-

I am not crazy, my reality is just different from yours.

-

-Alice in Wonderland-

-

"Yes, prefect." Maruyake bowed with a smile.

The entire garden turned stock still silent, tension was in the air as the heavy atmosphere made it harder to ease the fear that some of the other Heartslabyul students were feeling.

Murmurs or hushed whispers surrounded the area. Most of the older students were resigned and waited till the Unbirthday party would continue, while the others- especially to those who are younger- shook or trembled in place.

The lavender haired boy, however, wasn't bothered by this.

Looking at Riddle straight in the eyes.

This is between prefect to prefect.

-

"One mustn't cower in front of an equal." Said the man, his tone was stern as he eyed the youth in front of him.

"It'll show vulnerability and cowardice in one's worth."

-

"Are you serious, Ruya?" Maruyake heard Ace exclaimed from behind. "He's being unreasonable with the rules and you're taking his side?!"

At this, the Ramshackle prefect couldn't help but let out a laugh as he turned to face the ginger. "Taking a side? Where on the Great Seven, did you get that idea?"

Apparently it was the wrong thing to say- not that the lavender haired boy cared, since he is merely stating a fact.

"This ain't funny! You're acting like all the other cowards in this dumb dorm!" Ace gritted his teeth, glaring at the boy as Grim flew in front of Maruyake's field of view.

"If you're so afraid of the collar too, just say it, yanno!"

Maruyake held a steady gaze towards Grim, not minding the catlike creature's words as he closed his eyes for a second and breathed in a sigh.

"I see..." The lavender haired boy began, grabbing Grim with a tight grip, who in turn let out a startled yelp.

"O-oi! Let me go!" He squirmed, to which was ignored by Maruyake in favor on petting Grim with the gentleness of a doting pet owner. A far cry from the deathly hold that kept the catlike monster from escaping.

"It seems there is a bit of a misunderstanding. I am merely doing on what and follow the example on to who I think is right. There is no underlying fear in my actions. I chose on what I believe in from my own free will, you see."

At this, the Heartslabyul prefect let out a small 'hmph!'

"At least someone from this-" The red head gestured towards the two Heartslabyul first years and Grim. "... -handful group is reasonable." Riddle spoke, his anger from earlier slowly fading away from his body- though not completely, the Heartslabyul prefect seemed calm enough that it doesn't look like he'd burst in a second.

At least...

That's what the lavender haired boy hoped.

"Hah! Reasonable he says!" Ace mocked, his tone was that of irritation with an underlying hint of betrayal as he looked over to the lavender haired boy.