Chapter 2: Feelings revealed

A/N: Heads up, smutty times with Hiccup and Valka ahead. You have been warned!

(Hiccup's pov)

As the days passed, we were making sufficient progress in removing the Bewilderbeast ice as well as rebuilding what had been destroyed. Thank the gods we had the dragons to make our work easier for us, not only that but their firepower was imperative in getting rid of the unwelcome ice clinging to our home. I had divided our people into the tasks of removing ice and rebuilding what was destroyed, it's amazing what one can accomplish when you divide and conquer.

Whilst I was personally helping with the construction of new homes, barns, and establishments, my eyes couldn't help but drift to my mother, Valka. From the moment she revealed herself to me in the Dragon Sanctuary, I've... been developing feelings for her in ways no boy should ever have for his mother. But that's just it, Valka may have birthed me, but she was not my mother. A mother is by her son's side to raise him, protect him from the cruelty of the world, support him in whatever decisions he makes in life, and ensure that her son becomes a good man. Because of the gods, and maybe sheer luck, Valka and I bumped into each other two months ago, but I don't see Valka as my mother even though she birthed me. Currently, my mother was helping with removing Bewilderbeast ice, she and several shield maidens were carrying a large piece and placing it onto a wagon so that it could then be dumped over the cliffs.

My eyes wandered over Valka, she was wearing a sleeveless green shirt over her tunic, and a fur wrap over that as well. She wore a brown belt with a large buckle in the front, as well as brown armbands that covered her forearms. Despite my rational mind trying to remind me that Valka was my mother, I hushed my conscience and watched as Valka wiped the sweat that was clinging to her brow, she unclipped a water skin that was attached to her hip and began to drink. After she had her fill with water, she looked at me and beamed. Gods, her smiles made my knees weak and filled my belly with pleasant warmth. She then made her way towards me, I took deep breaths to calm my racing nerves and smiled at her in greetings as she stood before me.

"Good morning, Mom."

She then enveloped me in her arms and kissed my hair, causing me to sigh pleasantly and return her loving embrace. It's no secret that Valka was an extremely tactile person, and that implied whenever she'd shower me with affection.

"Good morning, my dear," she then broke our embrace but took my hands in her own. "How goes reconstructing what was destroyed?"

"We're making good progress, actually," I smiled while turning to the nearest hut that had been destroyed, yet now it was on the cusp of being liveable once more. "These people have been doing this long before my birth, and they'll continue long after I'm dust. But to answer your question, we're making good progress. And you?"

Chuckling lightly, Valka shrugged. "I'm helping where I can, but many of our warriors and those who are... "mountains" of muscle are doing what they can. Bewilderbeast ice is quite tricky to remove."

I squeeze her hands and smile at her in reassurance. "Thankfully we have the dragons to help with that, right?" Valka smiled and nodded in agreement, her bright demeanor then fell, causing me to frown. "What's wrong?"

"H-Hiccup, there's... there's something I must tell you—"

Loud groaning from wood halted Valka from speaking further, as one of the large lanterns we'd build to spot dragons in the air during the night began to split and it fell towards me and Valka. Without even thinking, I tackled Valka and saved us both from being crushed like insects. Cries of panic filled my ears as many of the villagers rushed to our side to make sure we weren't hurt. For the moment, I ignored them and realized I was on top of Valka, looming over her in a way I usually did with Astrid when we were entwined in our bed. She looked up at me with flushed cheeks, her pupils were dilated, and her mouth was agape as she gazed into my own eyes, my very soul. For a moment, time seemed to have stopped as we looked at each other. I suddenly found myself looking at Valka's thin lips and the desire to kiss her hatched inside my mind.