Prologue

(Y/n)'s POV

~Eight Years Ago~

(8 years old)

The first thing I remembered was the rain. It thundered and roared as it hit the window with such force that it shook me from my sleep. However, it was the creak of my door opening ever so slightly that jolted me awake.

"Mom?"

I slipped out of bed, rubbing my eyes a bit as I peeked around the door.

Panicked hands grabbed my shoulders and pushed me back into the room. The door slammed shut and her tear-stained face came into view. Mom's arms were warm when she picked me up and placed me into the soft, small bed with a gentle, caring grip.

"Why are you crying?"

She met my eyes with such sadness and I couldn't understand why she was that pained. I thought we were happy.

"Baby, I'm going to leave for a little while. It'll flash by so quickly, I promise."

Her grip tightened ever so slightly.

I met her eyes and smiled, knowing she loved it, and held her face in my small palms. "Don't worry Mom, I'll be brave for you!"

Her lip trembled slightly and she nodded as the tears fell anew. "I know you will baby," she murmured, pressing kisses all over my face. I laughed, shying away from the action.

"You'll be back though, right?"

A small hesitation and sad smile met my words. "As soon as I can be. Remember what I told you, alright?"

I smiled.

"Don't trust him," I recited, a bit proud when she nodded.

Sleep rose up to claim my mind as the door closed for the final time that night. When the sun arose and the birds cried, she was gone.

At first, it was days. The wounds I received during training were mine to nurse. Figuring out the bandages and gauze was the hardest part, but it got easier.

After about two weeks, a strange man entered my room. He was kind, or as kind as they come, and allowed me to ready myself before I was summoned to that cold, hellish room.

"Hello, (Y/n)."

A scream burned in my throat as a tremble shook through my bones. He had no face. He was a mess of scar tissue torn and ripped as though he was attacked and ravaged by a bear. The whir of machines assisted each of his deep, labored breaths.

Darth Vader, I decided, a more formidable version but the same look all the same.

My foot stepped backward, almost on its own.

"Hello Father," I whispered, my gaze glued to the unforgiving concrete of the floor. The words were like acid on my tongue, burning and burning until there was nothing in its wake.

Don't trust him.

"I've been informed that your mother left, but I believe you know that." He paused, seemingly to weigh his next words. "She will not be coming back. From now on, I will take over your training. Understood?"

My fists tightened. 'Be brave,' I reminded myself, dulling the blow he had so desperately wanted to make. She had promised, so he had to be lying. Even then I knew to stay quiet.