Chapter Five- Roaring Silence

Aizawa's POV

It was rare to be called out on patrol during the school year, but when Hizashi called out sick, it seemed like I had no choice.

 The assigned sector had a low crime rate and was on the rim of the patrol routes, perfect for an exhausting night.

Darkness enveloped the sky and the stars punctured through to offer their small, twinkling light.

Time Check: 22:13.

Footsteps echo along the noises of the night, their pace consistent and heavy. Hidden in the shadows, I watch as L/n freezes and looks around. She seems thrown off for a moment before returning to her run. 

My third-place problem child... 

Her hair floats a bit, like inky strands weaving through the soft lemony glow of the streetlights. I watch a bit longer, unsure how safe a run would be at this time of night.

Labored breathing deepens as she stops for a moment and an amethyst glow spears through her skin. It slices through her arm and bursts out, almost as if it were self-destructing. Silent tears run down her face as the skin knits itself together.

Over and over.

A bottle rattles from her pocket and a few tablets are shuffled into her palm.

The quirk attack seems to lessen, though her eyes still burn with the glow.

The footsteps resume, though they are more panicked and uneven than before. Her hand moves to wrap around a necklace beneath the neck of her shirt.

A flash of light bursts from her fingers and her shoulders relax a bit.

The tune she hums gets lost in the wind. Something about the girl felt familiar... but all I can do is sigh.

I'm not paid enough to put up with this. 

Trailing behind, I watch until she arrives at a door. Yet, she doesn't go in. She just listens with a soft smile.

By the time the patrol finishes, it's around three in the morning. The computer glows in the dark and burns the desert plaguing my eyes– nothing a few eyedrops wouldn't solve.

The keys click against the empty silence and L/n's student record appears on the screen.

The mother is deceased and unknown.

Father is L/n Hiroko.

The address was an apartment not far from the school, but it was mostly known for single bedrooms. Interesting.

Sighing, I input a search warrant request and come up with a valid excuse for needing one.

Tomorrow is the USJ visit and I have the groups all planned out. This year's group can use some work, but they're motivated... and that's all I can really ask for from students.

Unfortunately, all field trips take a lot of energy.

The laptop clicks shut with a gentle tap and warm arms wrap around my torso.

"You should be resting."

"I missed you," Hizashi's hoarse voice whispers, the smile evident in his tone. My lips tug upwards to match his and the lamp flicks off.

"I'll be in bed in a moment."

Yet, when I close my eyes, all I can think about is the gut feeling that something is wrong. 

----------

|Rewritten: 16 January 2022|