Chapter 6

Meredith, Mark, Derek and Cristina were all in the front yard playing ball. That was until a familiar face in a familiar car showed up across the street.
"Mommy!" Meredith exclaimed.
"Not now Meredith."
Meredith hugged her mother.
"Get off of me!"

Meredith found herself staying with the Shepherds most of the week. She would go home every now and then, because she lived there.

"Mommy?"
"Meredith. What do you want?" She asked, coming out more as an annoyed statement.
"Tomorrow is my birthday!"
"Great. 1 year older."
"What about my party?"
"You don't get one."

Meredith had to stay the night at her house. It was more like a sleepover. A boring, uncomfortable, bad sleepover. She never really stayed there. That was her house, but it wasn't home.

Meredith woke up the next morning. She went outside to her front yard. She grabbed some dirt and a stick. With it, she made a fake birthday cake.

"Happy birthday to me. Happy birthday to me. Happy birthday to Meredith. Happy birthday to me." She got up and wiped the dirt of of her knees. She ran towards the Shepherds. Derek's birthday was a week ago. He was 7. Mer was turning 6. She was beginning to get old enough to realize what was happening. She didn't fully understand, but at the same time, she did.

"Meredith!"
"Hi Derek."
"Happy birthday!"
"Thank you."
"What's wrong?"
"My mom. She said my birthday didn't matter."
"I'm sorry. Want to go play in my room? You can choose what."
"Ok!"

About an hour went by before they were all in the living room watching a movie.
"Oh Meredith!" Christopher said, walking in from work.
"Hi!"
"I have you a present!"
"Yay! Thank you!"

Meredith opened the present to reveal an Anatomy Jane Doll.
"Thank you!"
"Your welcome."

Meredith and Derek got their shoes on, along with Mark.
"I'm going to get Cris." Meredith said
"Ok. Be careful!" Carolyn replied.

Meredith and the others all played outside all day. They always wanted to grow up. Little did they know, that is the exact opposite of what they want.

To be continued.....