Chapter 23

About a week after, Mer started physical therapy. Derek was sitting on the side lines to support her. She hasn't made it very far.

She was getting more and more agitated. She kept falling and slipping and every time she made it out of the chair, she would plop back down.

"Ok Meredith, hold on to the bar, focus. Don't think about falling."

She got out of the chair and grasped the bar without falling. She moved to take a step but slipped.

"Dang it!" She cried.

Derek sighed, knowing he couldn't help her. It hurt him.

"Meredith, think about the first day at cheer. The flips and tumbles, just do it. Don't think." Derek said.

She took a deep breath and nodded. She was mortified to have to ask for help back up, but she did and received it. She latched onto the bar once again and walked her first step.

Don't think. Just walk.

She didn't fall and she smiled to herself. So, she took another. No fail. She made it halfway through the 15ft bar before she fell again. She wasn't to upset. Although, she held onto the bar and therapist more than she walked. She was getting better.

She was able to walk while leaning fully on someone before, now she was able to walk without so much reliance.

She was breathless and panting, also drenched in sweat, but she did it. She had not problem lifting thing or anything so she was ok in that arena.

"That was impeccable, Meredith. Most kids your age don't make it to the five feet mark. But don't push yourself. If you had stopped thinking, you would have only made it 6 feet. You could have got hurt. It makes you struggle more when you push. Don't think. Just walk."

"Ok. Sorry."

"That'a fine. Have a nice day, Meredith."

She leaned onto Derek as they got into the car where Christopher was in the driver's seat.

"Are you guys hungry?" He asked.

"Starved." Meredith chuckled.

They pulled into Sonic and drove to the speaker.

"Hey, I need two corn dogs with a sprite to drink, a supersonic hamburger with a Dr. Pepper and some onion rings, please."

"Ok just pull up to the window."

They got the food and started eating.

Mer started to speak, "I'm scared to go back."

The car was silent as they swallowed their food.
"It's ok, Mer. That's normal. You'll be safe, I promise."

"Yea."

They finished the drive home and Meredith was exhausted.
"I think I'm just going to go to bed." She yawned.

"That's ok, Mer." Carolyn smiled.

She turned around to go up the stairs and sighed. She hated asking for help.

"Do you need me to carry you?" Derek asked.

"Uhm. Yea..I can't do it.."

"That's fine." Derek smiled and picked her up.

There were three factors towards why she couldn't.
One, even if she wanted to, her body would be strained from all energy left inside.

Two, she couldn't face them. She still had PTSD and didn't feel safe without someone there.

And three, she was exhausted. Not just physically, but mentally. Her brain was emotionally drained. Facing getting better was one thing, actually doing it was another, but mentally,..that seemed impossible.

She hid her head his neck as he carried her up the stairs, causing her to jump when he bumped into a picture on the wall and made a noise.

"Sorry, sorry."

He put her in the bed and got in with her.

"I love you, Meredith."

"I love you too." She muttered as her eyes shut.