Chapter 10

"Can I go home now?"
Meredith asked the nurse. I just sat there. She knew she would be in pain without morphine.
"Are you up for the pain?"
"I guess."
"I'll go get the papers."

"You know you're going to be in pain all month."
"I don't care. I want to go home."
"I do."
"Where is mom and dad?"
"They are getting lunch."
"Ok."

I wasn't going to admit the feelings I had for her. I hope she likes me. But wouldn't that be weird? We grew up together. We still are. She is basically a sister to me. But she is in pain. And I can help her.

Mom and dad are back and its time to head home.

We helped Mer sit up and get out of bed. She hissed in pain and tears started out of her eyes. I wanted to cry with her. No one told her about the court date. It's in two weeks. The amount of anger I felt for those girls is unbelievable. I didn't watch everything happen. I wasn't there until I heard the gunshot and called dad. But the others were. Cristina and Amelia have already had nightmares of watching their best friend get shot.

We got Mer into the wheelchair and every time we hit a bump, she would tense up in pain. Erica is a bitch, and everyone knew it. We got to the car, with a lot of hissing and crying, Meredith got strapped in.

The car ride was bumpy, despite dad's efforts to be more careful. I could see Meredith start to cry. She looked out the window to hide it. I knew all of our friends were at the house. And maybe them being there would cheer her up.

We pull into the driveway but the curb made the car bounce and Mer screamed.
"Sorry. Mm. Didn't mean to scream like that."
"You're ok Mer."

We walk inside and all of our friends and sisters are on the couch, eating pizza.
"Hi Mer."
"Hey."

Dad helps Mer sit on the couch and made sure she was comfortable. Her arm had a cast on it.

"I have to use the bathroom." Mer said.
"Amelia, will you help her to the bathroom?" Mom asked.
"Of course."

They get to the end of the stairs and Mer starts to breathe heavier.

"Mer?" Alex asked.
"I- I can't. No."
"Is it the stairs?"
She just nodded and fell to the ground, wincing afterwards.

"I- I can't- b- breathe."
"You're ok. It's ok." Dad said.
"Do you think you can get upstairs if you close your eyes?" Carolyn asked.
"I- I don't know."

"I'm going to pick you up."
Dad lifted Mer and she closed her eyes. He brought her to the bathroom and Amelia helped her in the bathroom.

I looked back at our friends and they were either crying or on the verge of crying. It doesn't sound like it would effect us, but it did. If it was this bad to us, imagine Mer. She was heading to fucking English class and got shot. Since when did that happen?

Someone knocks on our door and I answer.

Eliza Minick.

"Why the hell is she here?" Jackson asked.
"I- I wanted to say sorry."
"No. You sat and watched as your psycho friends shot our best friend. Now she can't even walk up the stairs."
"I'm sorry. But it's not my fault."
"It is."
"Not. Can I see her?"
"She is using the bathroom. Probably humiliated at the fact the she needs help to do so."
"Listen. I wanted to just say sorry. No need to be bitchy about it. I don't owe you guys an apology."
"Tell that to the nightmares and sleepless nights. And being held at gunpoint."
"Ok. I didn't even mean the apology. Just let me see her."

"Who is at the door?" Amelia asked while helping Mer down the stairs. Eyes closed.

When they reached the end, Mer opened her eyes.

"I-."
"Mer. Calm down."
"Out! Now!" She said.
"Mer. Sit down."
"GET- H-ER OUT!"

I slammed the door in Eliza's face and went to the crying Meredith.
"You're ok."
I held her and helped her to the couch again.

After a little bit of time, she calmed down.
"I can't even walk upstairs." She mumbled.
"That isn't your fault. You have PTSD. It's normal."
"Normal to get shot heading to English?"
"No. But PTSD is."
"I am the reason you guys can't sleep."
"It's not your fault."
"Whatever. I'm tired."
"Your bed is upstairs."
"No stairs."
"Do you want to sleep on the couch?"
"No. You guys are sitting on them. It's rude to make you guys move for me."
"It's not rude."

Meredith started to stand up, knowing she can't on her own, but she quickly flopped back down when it hurt.
"Owwww."
We all felt bad.
"Here, lay down." I scooted over closer to mom so she could lay her head down on me or dad, she chose dad. Soon enough, she was out.
*****
We were all quietly speaking until we heard small cries.
I looked over and Mer was grasping her stomach while squeezing her eyes. I think her not so much pain meds wore off. She had dry tears as well as new ones on her face.
"Did you have a nightmare?" Mom asked, bringing two pink pills in.
"Mhm."
In what mind would someone think to cause the most amazing person so much pain? Nightmares, PTSD, physical pain, mental pain, emotionally drained, anxiety and depression, etc.
*****
It was getting dark, so mom made us all dinner. Mer didn't feel like eating. She probably wouldn't be able to keep it down anyways. Me and the group headed to the extra house. We still haven't made a name for it. My sisters, except Amelia, went upstairs to their rooms. Mer stayed at the main house.

To be continued......
Tell me if you liked this chapter! Leave ideas in the comments and thanks for reading!