35. I've been hoping there's a chance we can turn this around

Blue's eye lights went bigger.

Did he...?

No, that can't be right.

Dream had not suspected him before when Blue was not used to lying and covering his traps like he was now.

"I was at home. I did not know that Ink was kidnapped! Is he ok?"

Blue explained to Dream.

Then suddenly, he grabbed his hands as if he just realized something.

"My bad, he would obviously be not ok if he was kidnapped! I should make a get-well gift to wish him well!"

Blue cried out.

"Blue-"

Dream said to his half-genuine panic.

However, Blue pretended to not hear him and quickly made a portal.

"Sorry to make this short, Dream. But I got to prepare the gifts and tell Ink that I care about him!"

Blue shouted before he took a jump inside the portal.

Whew.

Mission complete.

He successfully avoided the situation where that could lead to Dream learning about his secrets.

But while his actions were quite exaggerated, his concern for Ink was genuine.

Was Ink's state bad enough to make Dream investigate?

Blue felt more determined to solve the mystery of Ink's soul after this encounter.

Because Ink was his friend.

And friends don't abandon each other when one needs their help.

He gripped the note that where the riddles were written.

Let's see...

First, the wall that separates men and monsters.

Welp, that's an easy one!

It's obviously the barrier.

Next!

The flower that started the tale.

Tale?

Blue knew a lot of tales that was in the libraby.

Hmm...

Wait.

Hadn't Error told him that the original universe was called 'Undertale'?

Was this the same tale that the riddle was speaking of?

Error immediately changed back to Geno.

He carefully approached Reaper who now looked like the fearful god of death he was with all the deathly vortex ominously growing around him.

"Reaper!"

Geno called out.

"Why does the world wish you pain, my love?"

Reaper whispered to him.

"The world does not care enough to do that, Reaper. This was my own choice and design. I wanted to pay for the destruction that I will bring to the minority to save the majority."

Geno answered grimly.

No matter what he saw, his hands were stained by the dust and blood of thousands who did nothing wrong except for being in the wrong place and time.

Reaper sighed at his answer.

Geno walked closer to him till the distance between them was only one inch.

Then he gripped his beloved's skull.

"So many have died in my hands, Reaps. I knew I couldn't last long enough to meet you again. I needed something to rein myself back from falling down. Even if it was something like physical pain."

Geno mumbled.

"That doesn't make any sense yet at the same time, I strangely understand that. You weren't the first to resort to pain to punish what you thought was sin."

Reaper stated with a dark chuckle.

Geno quietly embraced him instead of an answer to that.

He felt Reaper hug him back.

They were both a mess, weren't they?

But at least they were a mess together.