Chapter 4

Thane’s POV

I was talking with Mrs. G and Trent about Callie. “Alpha, there’s something you should know about Callie.”

“What’s that Mrs. G?” I asked, all ears. “Callie came to me last week and asked if she was a werewolf. I couldn’t lie to her so I told her the truth. She admitted to hearing a voice and said that it was her wolf. She wants to meet everyone this week.” I smiled at them. “That’s good news. I’m glad they didn’t kill her wolf. It’s a shame to kill something as precious and innocent as a wolf when the person doesn’t even know about it.”

“I agree Thane. And there’s something else.” I nod at her to continue. “When we came to pick Trent up, Callie caught the scent of her mate.” I felt my heart speed up as everything around me stopped. “Did she say who it was?” I was proud of myself for keeping my voice even and natural.

“I’m sorry Alpha, but she didn’t. When I asked if she wanted to find him then or wait until she met the whole pack, she told me that she wanted to wait.” My wolf howled. Callie couldn’t be my mate could she? We met, but I didn’t catch a scent from her. “Well, when you find out who he is, please let me know.” I say as they stand to leave.

It wasn’t no more than thirty minutes when my cell started ringing. When I saw that it was Mrs. G, I answered on the first ring. “What’s wrong Mrs. G?”

“It’s Callie.” She sobbed into the phone. “She’s…She’s gone.” My heart slowly started to break at those words, and I could hear my wolf howling in pain. Shaking it off as a loss of a pack member, I focus on Callie’s mother. “How long has she been gone?”

“I-I’m not sure. She left a note. When Trent and I left this morning, she was still asleep and her breakfast is untouched.”

“What does her note say?” I listen carefully as she started to read. “Dear Mom and Trent,I’m sorry that I’m not here when you return, but I have to go. I wish that I could have stayed longer and gotten to know both of you again, but time just isn’t on my side it would seem. I’m sorry for leaving like this, but it’ll be easier on everyone if I just vanish. Mom, I want you to know that I’ll always love you. And even as I write this to you, what’s left of my heart is breaking. I won’t be back. Love, Callie

“P.S. Already knew that I caught my mate’s scent last week when we went to go get Trent from Thane’s house. And I said that I wanted to wait until I met to pack to find him. But I found him by accident that day. He would never choose me Mom, this I know for a fact. His heart belongs fully to another, and it’s not my nature to tear people apart. Good bye.

“I don’t know who she’s talking about Alpha. I can’t lose my baby girl again.” I promised her that we would find Callie. After hanging up, I called the pack warriors into my office. “Callie Malloy is missing. It is believed that she met her mate but he either rejected her or is dating another and doesn’t even know about it.

“I don’t know how much time we have to find her if her mate is with another. But find her we must.” They left and I stared at my computer. This can’t be happening again. We just got her back.

Callie’s POV

I was tired by the time the sunset and darkness closed in. But I knew that I was close to what I called home over the past years. After five minute’s rest, I was on the move again. It took me another hour before I was standing just yards from the small cabin.

Slowly making my way towards it, I was almost on the porch when the door swung open and the hunters came out. When they recognized me, they were surprised. We stare at each other for several long seconds before anyone spoke. “What are you doing here Callie?”

I dropped my eyes and shuffled my feet. “I ran away from home. May I stay with y'all?”

“Why did you run child?” The caring timber of his voice brought fresh tears to my eyes. “I ran because I found that I was a werewolf and my mate is going to mark another in about a week. I don’t belong with them.”

“We’re sorry Callie. Come in.” I followed them into the cabin and laid my bag beside the couch. “How did you find your way back?” I tap my head. “I have a memory like a steel trap. I watched everything as they took me away.” A comfortable silence filled the room until I spoke.

“Y’all didn’t kill her you know.”

“Didn’t kill who?”

“My wolf; I still have her. If I would have kept taking those pills for another year though, she would have died.” They started at each other and I could feel the guilt washing off of them. “We didn’t want to keep giving you those nasty pills after we got to know you Callie. But, we had to. A Royal paid us to kidnap you and told us we had to make you take the pills. He would have killed us if we didn’t.

“We may be hunters, but when a Royal tells you to do something, you obey.”

“I understand. I guess you know the reason I’m back huh?”

“You’re waiting for your death to come.” I nod sadly as I heard Cherry whine softly. “Who is it?” They demand. “We’ll beat the stuffing out of him.” I smile shyly at them, but shake my head. “Don’t worry about him please. He’s happy with the one he chose and he doesn’t know about me at all. And that’s the way I would like to keep it.”

Taking a deep breath, I square my shoulders and look them in the eye. “I need your help.”

“Anything Callie. Name it and it’s done.”

“I-I need help to find my father. I’d like to meet him before I die.”

“We can help you with that Callie. When we first took you, we decided that it would be a good idea to find out who your parents were. Just in case we decided to ransom you if you became a bother.”

“But I thought that all hunters kill wolves.”

“Most of us do. But not us, only if we have too. Anyway, we drew some of your blood and tested it. It blew us out of our socks when we found out that you were half Royal.”

“I’m half Royal?”

“Yes you are. And your father is King Matthias.” Suddenly it felt as if my back was on fire. I screamed and fell off the couch, clawing at my back. The hunters were trying to talk to me, but I couldn’t hear them. The pain was too great to bear and the burning just kept getting hotter and hotter until it consumed my whole body. By the time the fire receded, I was unconscious.   

Matthias’s POV

I felt my angel flex his wings and I knew that something was happening. Castiel what’s going on?

It’s our little girl Matthias. She’s alive and her angel just awoke.

That’s…That’s not possible. For a half Royal to awaken their angel without being mated to a Royal is impossible.

She’s not mated to anyone that I can tell Matt. But I’m sensing another Royal’s blood running through her though. It’s not as strong as yours, but it’s there.

That would be another way of awaking the angel side of her. But who Cass, who would do that to her?

I’m trying to find out. When I do, you’ll be the first to know.

Try and track her down. I need to find her. He cut our link and I turn my eyes towards the window. “Soon my little one I’ll find you. And I’ll bring you home.”