Chapter 8

Thane’s Wedding Day

Callie’s POV

I woke up early and got dressed. The past few days have been heaven: getting to know my father more. I never thought I would ever get to meet him and yet here I am, spending almost every spare second I have with him.

I swiftly make my way up the stairs and to the roof just in time to watch the sunrise. It never ceased to make me breathless. I sat on the roof until 6 when I knew my father would be up. I had just slipped back into my room when a knock sounded through my room.

“Come in Dad.” I call out softly as I dug through my small stash of clothes. “Good morning princess. Ready for breakfast?” Stepping out of my closet, I caught a glimpse of the pain in his eyes. I knew what day it was and so did he. And I knew that it was killing him inside. “I could eat something.” I whisper. Dad slips his hand into mine as we head down the stairs.

I had just reached the last step when a burning pain shot through me. Biting my lip to keep from crying out, I fight to keep my breathing and heart beat normal. “Dad, I need to stop by the bathroom first.” I say with a smile. He just nods and keeps walking towards the dining room.

I stumble to the nearest bathroom and lock the door behind me. I slowly slide my shirt off and stare at my chest. Right over where my heart was a bleeding heart was slowly appearing. As the pain increased, the faster it appeared. I knew that it was only a matter of hours before my time was finished here.

Pulling my shirt back on, I pick up my phone and dial my mom. “Hello?”

“Mom, its Callie.”

“Oh my baby! Where are you? I’ve been so worried.”

“Mom I’m fine. Honest. I just wanted to call you and let you know that today is it.” She understood the tone of my voice and broke down. “Tell me who he is baby and I’ll kill him for doing this to you.”

“No Mom. I love him enough to let him be happy with someone else. Even at the cost of my own life. I love you Momma.” I say softly before I hang up and turn my phone off. Splashing cold water on my face to erase the evidence that I had been crying, I open the door to find Ryan with his hand raised.

“Your father sent me to see if you were alright.” He slowly lifted my face up so I was looking him in the eye. I force a fake smile, but I knew he saw through it. “I’m here if you need me little one.” At the use of my wolf’s nickname for me, my eyes became hot as tears rushed to the surface. She hasn’t spoken to me in the last few days, but I knew that she was getting ready for this to all end.

“When we walk into the dining room, you will lie to my father Ryan. We’re going to tell him I’m fine. You understand?” I asked softly, my voice barely a whisper. He just smiled and held my hand as we made our way to breakfast. This day was going to be a killer.

Thane’s POV

Today was the day. I stood in my room with my tux almost on. The jacket lay on the bed while I was trying to get the bow-tie on. And it didn’t help that I was getting the faintest feelings of sorrow and pain through the bond. I would not sway my choice for anyone.

But as I finally got the little thing tied, I couldn’t help but feel regret for my choice. For in choosing Rose, I was condemning my mate to death. And I would be placing her family in mourning for her loss. Rubbing my hands slowly across my face, I stare into my reflection.

Glancing at my watch, I realized the wedding would start in exactly thirty minutes. My father knocked on the door before he entered my room. “Well son, this is the day.” I couldn’t think of what to say so I just nodded at him. “They still haven’t found Callie yet, but they’re still looking. As much as I hate to say it, if she’s not found in a week, I’m calling them off.”