Chapter 5

Callie’s POV

When my eyes fluttered open, I couldn’t help but notice the pounding headache I had. And then there were the two gigantic, white wings that were rising out of my back. I moaned softly and sat up slowly. I saw two of my hunters asleep in chairs beside my bed.

“What-What happened?” They jerked awake at the sound of my voice and rushed to my side. “How are you feeling Callie?”

“Like I’ve been run over by a truck.” They chuckle softly and stare at me. “So where did they come from?” I ask gesturing to my newly acquired wings. “It’s rumored that Royals are half angels. Since you’re half Royal, it would seem that you also got an angel. But it would be impossible to awaken her unless you were mated with a full blooded Royal.” I laugh and they just stare at me.

“I can assure you that my mate isn’t a Royal.”

“There’s another way to awaken an angel.” One of the hunters say as he walks into the room. He holds his hand up and I see four of the pills that they had given me to take daily. “It would require the blood of a full Royal.” My face turns white as his words sink in. “You mean I’ve been taking pills filled with a Royal’s blood?!”

He nods once. “I’m sorry Callie, but we didn’t know. We just thought that they were filled with silver flakes and wolfsbane. He must have switched them out.”

“Who?”

“The Royal who paid us to kidnap you.”

“Oh. So, my father is King Matthias?” They nod slowly and I stand up. “How do I make the wings disappear?”

“Just like if you were in your wolf form. Just think about how you are without them.” I close my eyes and concentrate. Soon I felt the wings slowly shrinking. And then it hit me, the reason for the headache was that I now had two voices in my head.

I stayed with them for a few days until I decided that it was time to make my way to the King’s pack. I had just gotten my phone back from them as I stepped onto the porch. They had programmed their numbers into my contacts just in case I ever needed their help. The goodbye was tearful and painful.

But I didn’t have time to waste, so I hugged them again and picked my bag up and left. While I wanted to use my new wings to reach my father faster, both my wolf and angel were telling me that it wasn’t safe to use them yet. I walked for another day before I realized I was getting closer. It was now Thursday and I had only had one week left. The thought sadden all three of us.

I was currently in a small cave waiting for a sudden thunderstorm to pass. But I could tell that it would be here for a while, so I made myself comfortable. I hadn’t been sitting there for more than half an hour before a man shot through the hole. I stared at him surprised and a little worried.

At first he didn’t notice me. But as he took his rain slicker off, his eyes must have caught the color of my hair because he spun around as if he was shot. Our eyes met and the whole world seemed to stop. “It’s you.” Is all I heard him say before I knew nothing else.

Ryan’s POV

(King’s Beta’s Son)

It’s been almost a week since the King sent me to find his daughter. All I knew that I was just fifty miles from D.C. and stuck in a stupid rainstorm. After walking through the forest for over an hour, I finally find a small cave that would be enough shelter until the rain passed.

I took off running towards it like a rocket. I slide to a stop and pulled my rain slicker off, believing I was alone. As I lowered my arms, a bright flash of red caught my eye and I turned around quickly. My eyes were caught by the deepest blackest eyes I’d ever seen. I stare at her as if in a trance.

It wasn’t until a huge clash of thunder which shook the ground brought us out of our staring contest. The girl blushes and looks away, fiddling with strands of her hair. I open my mouth to speak, but she beats me to the draw. “Mi dispiace signore. Io non ti disturberà. Sarò andato non appena la pioggia si ferma. (I'm sorry sir. I won't bother you. I'll be gone just as soon as the rain stops.)” I look at her confused. Her Italian was flawless, but she didn’t look Italian.

I slowly shrug my shoulders as if I was dismissing her words. “Non si preoccupi. Sono io che dovrebbe scusarsi. Mi sono precipitato in e spaventato. (Don't worry about it. It is i who should be apologizing. I rushed in and startled you.)” The girl stares at me again, confused. “Sapete quanto io sono dalla confezione del Re? (Do you know how far I am from the King's pack?)”

“Si trova a circa 50 miglia di distanza. Perché ci andate? (You are about fifty miles away. Why are you going there?)”

“Mio padre è una parte del pacchetto del re. Vorrei vederlo prima di morire. (My father's a part of the King's pack. I wish to see him before I die.)” I look at her trying to see if she was joking with me, but all I saw was truth in her eyes. I decided to switch to English. “How’s your father? Maybe I know him.”

“You’re from the King’s pack?” Awe and wonder filled her voice as she watched me. “I am. I would take you back myself, but I’m on a mission for the King and I promised that I would only return once I had his daughter with me.” I could have sworn that I heard her gasp after I finished talking, but I listened closer and heard nothing.

“What’s your name?” I ask her curious. “My name is…Cherry.” My laughter fills the cave. “I don’t believe you.” She just shrugs and looks down at her hands. A wave of hurt washes over me from my wolf: he didn’t like the fact we made her uncomfortable. I walk over to her and slide to the floor. “I’m sorry. It’s just that I’ve never met anyone with that name before.”

“What’s your name?”

“I’m Ryan, future Beta of the King’s pack.” Cherry gives me a shy smile before leaning her head against the cave wall. Almost an hour passed with no talking. I thought she had fallen asleep when she spoke softly. “What’s the King like?”

“He’s a kind and generous man. I’ve never met anyone who was as just and honest as he. But he’s also sad, though he does his best to hide it from everyone. His daughter was kidnapped by hunters many years ago and he was led to believe that she was dead. He called me to his office almost a week ago asking me to try and find her because he had heard rumors that she’s alive.

“For a second, when I first saw you, I thought you were her.”

“And why’s that?”

“Your hair, it’s the same color as the princess’s. The same vibrant fiery red.” After another roll of thunder, I could tell that it wasn’t going anywhere any time soon. Cherry leans in close to me and whispers in my ear softly. “I have a secret to tell you.”