Chapter 6

Thane’s POV

My wedding was now just five days away and I should be excited. But instead I was filled with dread. I wished that I could call it off, but I knew that my father wouldn’t let me. And I wouldn’t do that to Rose, not after everything she did for me over the years.

I would call Mrs. G every hour, but I had only the same thing to report. There was still no sign of her. By now, my wolf wasn’t speaking with me and it was driving me crazy. He wanted to me to be right beside my men looking for Callie, but I couldn’t. She was just a childhood friend, right?

I was starting to get a headache from everything that was going through my head. Rubbing my temples, I stand and walk to the window. The friendship bracelet that Callie had given me when we were younger was still on my wrist. I refused to take it off, and over the years, I had really just forgotten that I still wore it.

The colors were faded, and the tie was starting to come unraveled. I slowly slipped it off and laid it in the hidden drawer of my dresser. Just like my past, it was time to move on. I grasp onto the small and frail link between us and speak.

Hello my mate. I’m not sure who you are, and I wish that we could have met sooner. I’m sorry for what I’m about to say. And I’m sorry for what lies ahead for you. It kills me to make this decision. My wedding is in five days and I will not leave my bride at the altar. I hope you understand. Things might have been different if we had met sooner, or under different circumstances. I hope you find someone who makes you just as happy as my Rose makes me.

I stood in my office until midnight, but I didn’t hear a word from her. Sighing softly, I turn my lights off and close the door behind me as I leave. But as I start to walk up the stairs, I hear one soft word float through my head and I know that it came from her. Coward. She called me a coward.

Callie’s POV

“I have a secret to tell you.” I whisper into Ryan’s ear. He just stares at me, waiting for me to continue. I swallow the words that I wanted to say and choose something else. “My mate’s getting married in five days, and I’m not stopping him.”

“You’ll die if you let him mark another she-wolf.” I could feel tears gathering in my eyes, but I refused to let them fall. “I know what awaits me. But you see, I love him too much to break the two of them apart. If I told him I was his mate, he would in time come to love me as much as he loves her know.

“We were childhood friends, the three of us. But that all changed when I was 9. I had to go away for a while and when I came back, they were engaged. I didn’t know until a week after I moved back in my mom’s house that he was my mate. But by then it was too late. I could see how much he loved her, that he was willing to marry, mark and mate her while he had a mate somewhere out in the world who would be wondering who and where he was.

“The day after I figured out that if I made him pick between the two of us, and I knew that he would choose her, I left. I wasn’t going to stay there while I was slowly dying. So I thought why not look up my father. All I knew was that he was a part of the King’s pack. And here I am.” Ryan was quiet, so I lapsed into silence.

“Your mate has got to be one of the dumbest wolves on the Earth.” He says with venom in his words. I just shrug, but his words make me feel a little better. I was just about to drift off to sleep when I hear Thane’s voice in my head.

Hello my mate. I’m not sure who you are, and I wish that we could have met sooner. I’m sorry for what I’m about to say. And I’m sorry for what lies ahead for you. It kills me to make this decision. My wedding is in five days and I will not leave my bride at the altar. I hope you understand. Things might have been different if we had met sooner, or under different circumstances. I hope you find someone who makes you just as happy as my Rose makes me.

I just lay there, struggling to keep my breathing even and slow so Ryan wouldn’t know anything was wrong. How dare he not think about what would happen to me after he makes Rose his. Cherry was growling softly, uttering threats against both of them under her breath. He even mocked us, little one. Wishing that we find happiness with someone else. Stupid, stupid mutt.

I speak into the link before it fades once again. Coward. It was the only word that would come to my mind. And it was how I saw him right at that moment. I didn’t notice that I was crying until I felt Ryan shaking my shoulder gently. “What’s wrong Cher?”

“My mate being a freaking jerk.” I say softly, wiping my tears away. In the morning I would tell Ryan the truth about who I am. And I would spend the rest of my time on Earth with my father. And then, then I would die.

Matthias’s POV

She has made a decision Matt.

About what?

Her life from what I can gather. It would seem that her mate doesn’t know who she is, but she knows who he is. And he’s going to marry another in a few days.

Then why don’t she stop him, it’s her right as his mate.

She won’t stop him because she loves him. To her, his heart will always belong to the other woman and she has no chance of winning him back.

We haven’t even found her yet and we’ve lost her again. My wolf chimed in sadly.

NO!!!!!!!!! I roared the sound echoing throughout the castle. I linked with Ryan as fast as I could. Yes Sire?

Have you found her yet?

Not yet sir. I’m trapped in a cave due to a storm. But as soon as it’s over, my search will continue for her.

She’s in danger Ryan. She doesn’t have much longer to live.

I’ll find her Sire, and I’ll bring her back to you as fast as I can. I cut the link and fell back in my chair. “Goddess please bring me my baby girl before she dies. She’s my whole world.” I say softly to the hidden moon as tears slowly made trails down my cheeks.

Unknown POV

I through a lamp at one of the hunters before me, but it hit the wall behind him. “Fools! She came back to you and because you trusted she wouldn’t run away, you let her slip from your fingers.”

“We’re sorry Sire. But you’ll be pleased to know that she doesn’t have much time left.” That intrigued me and I stepped in front of him. “What do you mean?”

“Her mate doesn’t know who is she, but she knows who he is. And he’s planning on mating and marking another in less than five days. She’ll be dead soon and out of your hair.” I growled at him and he flinched back.

“I don’t want her dead yet stupid. She has yet to fulfill the purpose I planned for her. Find her and bring her to me before time runs out, or your heads will roll.” They five hunters all but flew out of my house and into the night. “You’ll soon be in my grasp Callie. And then my dear, dear brother will know the pain I’ve felt for the past 25 years. It’s his turn to lose everything he loves.” I whisper into the night as I stared at her picture.