Chapter Two

The eventful night passed but I was hungry and tired. I laid in bed to sleep my hunger away.

The bloodied bed and my even more bloodied dress didn't bother me anymore as sleeping was my priority. As I felt the softness of the pillow and the heaviness of my body, I closed my eyes and finally slept.

I dreamt about a happy place. A tavern to be specific. A place with music, good wine, food, and happy people. Just like a nightclub back at my last life. Anyway...

At that tavern a very lonely person visited and people were picking on him. I didn't see his face because he was wearing a cloak.

I felt a sting on my left arm as if someone pierced me and I immediately opened my eyes.

At the left side of my bed was an old man wearing a black velvet cloak and a pair of round glasses. He was holding a syringe and he seemed to have injected me with something.

I took a look at the syringe and noticed that there was a bit of my blood in there.

The old man gave me a warning glare. Like he was telling me to forget what I saw. As he left I fell asleep again.

When I opened my eyes again, was already night. Despite not having eaten for two days I felt refreshed so I decided explore the mansion.

I opened the big wooden door as quietly as I could and closed it again. Looking left and right in order to remain unnoticed, I made sure to stay silent.

I took a few turns and continued walking to the right when I heard a noise. It was Asher.

His voice sounded clearly through my ears as he was obviously talking to someone. Judging by the voice of the other person, he must have been the old man who injected me and drew my blood.

I approached the wall and placed my ear to hear what they were saying.

"Your grace, the child is suffering from malnourishment and malnutrition."

" What do you mean?"

" This girl may die if she won't eat by tomorrow. I am surprised that she is still alive."

" It can't be! Her cheeks are red and her eyes shiny... Get out of here!"

Surprisingly, I am not normal. This has to be the power of the moon. I thought that I had to investigate this matter but right now I should not be seen.

I crawled into the darkest shadow of the corridor and hid behind a vase as the old man who seemed like a doctor left Asher's study.

The doctor stopped and exhaled the breath he had been holding on to his lungs and said to himself

" This duke... Why would he adopt a child and treat it like a slave?"

This question made my heart skip a beat. It was as if this one question, had crawled out of my head where it was residing all those days.

That person...

This one doctor who knew nothing about me was able to tell my whole situation with just one sentence! As if he was besides me the whole time.

From the day I reincarnated to today. The doctor left and I felt relieved that he didn't see me eavesdrop.

To my surprise I heard steps behind me and I held my breath to make myself as silent as possible. I prayed that whoever was coming this way, wouldn't see me.

I heard the steps getting closer. The person behind me was so close to me that he must have already seen me. Calmly I stood up ready to face the consequences of sneaking out of my room at night.