Chapter Six

My back was stiff as I stretched to the sun rays and the chaos around. Vincent and I looked down to see thousands of mutated guards getting everyone in order. This was the time that we all got put to work like slaves. She wanted me to rule with her but I am no one's puppet. Just everyone's entertainment. "We should get ready." He said. I had no words but responded with a nod. We jumped down from the roof and headed inside for a quick shower and change of clothes. We went down and met in the front to get our official titles and placement. "Things are going to be hell, aren't they?" I asked him. He interlaced our fingers and that was enough for me to calm down. The nerves were already building up. "Should we go get our official titles?" He said with some hesitation. We walked towards the lines and stood there waiting. People were crying and some were happy. There were guards in front of tables going one by one assigning those duties. Until it came to me. 'Name?" He demanded. "Athena Sadar." He looked through some books. A few seconds later he reached from my arm and stuck a needle in it. "Low-Level Stripper." I was taken aback by how we have inserted our jobs like this is normal. I was pushed to the side while Vincent stepped forward. I waited for him to get his chip. But it became very woozy as the words came out. "Moon Goddess personal guard." It was like slow motion. This girl has an alternative agenda. "You will be reporting tonight." The guard said before turning his attention to someone else. "Vincent, we need to stop this." Something in me took over as I ran into his arms and just held him. She wanted to take everything away from me and maybe that was also including taking my mate because she couldn't have her. This is no way the person we prayed to for decades would ever act like this. She was selfish. I let the tears drench his shirt, knowing he is who I will sneak away to see. Who knew this is where we would be at. Like we can't catch a break.

After minutes of sobbing, Vincent had grabbed my arms to pull me back. "Listen, we are going to fix this okay?" But I couldn't seem to grasp that idea. How were we going up against one of the most powerful gods of all time? I lost my boyfriend, my kids, and now I am losing my mate. She's going to make it to where he and I can't even get used to this mate bond. I will be down at the club dancing and he will be with the Goddess a few feet away. We waited around as one by one of everyone got their assigned jobs. Until the very last person. We sat on top of the roof once again just waiting for things to completely take over. I stayed in his arms just taking in the comfort before I was slaved away. "I think she is taking all of the despair out on me. Maybe she isn't mad that I stood up to her. I think she was mad that I was getting everything that I wanted. But she lost everything. She had no family, no mate, no kid, no anything. I pity her honestly. But she won't get the best of me." I stood up and brushed myself off. "Come on." I extended my arms to him to help him up. "Where are we going?" I started stripping my clothes from my body. "We are going on a run. We can take this last night badly or have fun. You in?" A smirk set on his face. He pulled his shirt from his back and just in sync we shifted and hopped off the roof. We dodged past the territory since there was none anymore. And ran until we couldn't anymore. Feeling the wind against our furs. It was everything. The adrenaline kicked in as we zoomed past each other. Nipping at each other's fur just enjoying the moment. Until the moment was over. And suddenly we had no breath left in us. We were deep in the forest and now where reality was about to set in. Our sprinting turned into walking. And now we are stopped. We shifted back to our human forms and just stared at each other. "This can't be the end. This is not our ending." He reached for my arms and just held me. "I thought this night wasn't about moping?" Which brought a laugh out of me. "Yeah, you're right." I looked up and him and there it was. That spark. That undeniable attraction. I knew he felt it too because his hand was on my neck gently stroking it. It seemed so fast and so early but now I needed it. I let my lips devour him like this would be the last time. I wanted him. No, I needed him.

Thank you for reading! Make sure you follow me on Instagram