Chapter Twenty-Three

Jack was acting more agitated than usual but I can see why. He didn't really want to be bothered so I allowed him the space he needed. He shouldn't have to reject it to be a family. We can be a family regardless. And now that it's the daughter of Luna. Hopefully, she won't give us a hard time now. I sat outside by the campfire that I started and just relaxed. I was supposed to meet Vanessa tomorrow and I wasn't prepared but I can only hope that she would decide to help me. I was stuck and lost. So was everyone else. But I knew things needed to be safe again if we are ever going to get to the point of decision-making. I felt cold glass on my arm and noticed a beer was being handed to me. "You look like you could use one." I took it from Vincent's hand. "Yeah, it's not every day your baby daddy's mate slaps you across the face." I took a huge sip from the beer. "No shit, he found his mate? How did he react?" Now he was more interested. "Well, not the way you think he'd react. If anything the same way I did when I found out about you. He told me he didn't want to break up our family and it doesn't matter anymore if he had to share me. But that girl was so mad she gave me a good one on my cheek." Another chug I took out of the beer. "How do you feel about it?" I met his eyes that were only inches apart. I think maybe he needed to hear that truth. "Honestly, it hurts. I developed a relationship with Jack that's so unhinged and we grew together and have this beautiful daughter. But I also know that he is always setting his feelings aside to keep our family together. He is so selfish it's irritating. I want Jack to be happy. He has a mate that's all for him while I am still stuck between you and him. I want him to make choices based on him and if he wants to be with his mate I will support him. But if I am being honest with you and it's going to sound like the most selfish thing in the entire world and shallow."He was still staring at me like he was actually listening to what I had to say. "I can't decide between you both. I love both of you. And the mate bond should only be towards you but it craves for his affection too. I know he's okay with it but I know you aren't and if I feel like if I can't have both of you then it's best not to have any of you."

He sat back with his head now leaning upwards just thinking. I know it's a lot that is going through his head. I mean I understand. "What if he decides to be with his mate, where does that leave us?" He asks. "I don't want you thinking that okay cool he is with his mate now we can be together. I guess it depends on you if you still want me. But if he wants to stay together with me even with you then I won't say no. But he deserves so much and so much better than dealing with me. Jack is such a great guy and I can never thank him enough. I don't know. I-I am not making any sense I know." We sat for a few minutes just sipping on our beer. He was someone with feelings and I won't dismiss them. Just because my feelings were everywhere doesn't mean he has to stick around to see my downfall of it all. "I am not up to sharing so if it ever comes to that then choose him, Athena. I want you to be committed to me and sadly I can't give you what you want." The hurt that was in his voice struck me. The tears welled up in my eyes. I wasn't mad at him. I could never be mad at him. He put his arm around my shoulders and kissed the side of my cheek before he stood up and walked away. Why wasn't this choice easy? It should be my mate right? But my heart pangs when I think of never seeing Jack that way again. I don't deserve any of them. I sat there until the fire gave out and I was sound asleep on the couch. Not even morning awoke me but I woke up noticing a blanket had been placed on me.