Chapter 1:

Negative

The test was negative.

I wasn't pregnant.

I was relieved to say the least. My boyfriend Chase and I have always planned on it just being us. That we would get married, buy a beautiful house and maybe get a dog or two. I always imagined myself as that crazy aunt who spoiled her nieces and nephews to death and not a mother. I didn't think Chase even liked kids.

As I stared down at the white plastic stick in my hands all I could think about was how much this would've messed things up if it had come back positive.

Chase was just starting off in his football career, playing for an amazing NFL football team and if we had a kid it would mess it all up. He needs to be focused on work, not a crying baby.

Growing up I was always the youngest. My only sister is two years older than me and both of my parents were an only child so I never had any experience with kids, so I guess that's why I didn't want any.

"Are you okay?" I broke away from my thoughts and looked over to my best friend, Lilly.

She was Chase's sister and my best friend since we first started school. I had always had a crush on her brother since as long as I could remember. She knew it too and had always joked about us becoming sister in laws one day. Who knew it would somehow end up being the truth?

I smiled at her and nodded with a sigh of relief.

"Yeah. I don't know what I would done if it was positive," I stood up from my sitting position on the toilet lid and walked over to the sink. I wrapped up the test in a wad of toilet paper so Chase won't see it later, and quickly washed off my hands. Lilly came up beside me and stared at my face, her deep brown eyes filled with concern. "What?"

"Then why do you keep getting sick?" I shrugged my shoulders and we both walked out of the bathroom and into the medium sized kitchen in my small apartment Chase and I got about two years ago.

"Food poisoning?"

"Rea, people don't get food poisoning for two weeks straight," she was right, but I felt perfectly fine. Yes, I threw up a few times a day, but other than that I feel completely normal. "maybe you should make an appointment with your doctor. Just to make sure everything's okay," I shrugged my shoulders and took a drink from my glass of water that was resting on the counter top beside me.

"Maybe....," I mumbled. She gave me a look, telling me that she wasn't playing around and just only a few moments later her phone began ringing on the table. She answered and began talking to whoever was on the other line and I found myself lost in my own thoughts

What if there was something wrong with me? What if I'm dying?

Okay, maybe that's a bit over dramatic.

At least I know I'm not having a baby. I doubt Chase would've been excited about it. He was never really into kids. Whenever any were around he would always tense up and get all awkward, so I don't think he's exactly fond of kids.

What if I really did end up pregnant? Would he leave me to fend for myself?

He wouldn't do that right?

"Rea, I've got to go. Derek's car won't start so I have to take him to work," she said walking over and wrapping me into a hug.

Derek is Lilly's husband. They married about a year and a half ago when Lilly was just nineteen and Derek was twenty one. The two were more in love than an old couple married for sixty years and it was the cutest thing seeing them together.