Chapter 14:

-Rea's POV-
(Three Days Later)

"Mommy!" I groaned and ran into the living room scooping a sobbing Mason into my arms. "Mommy my belly hurts," he cried, clinging to my neck.

I looked down at his beat red face and frowned. He was sweating and shaking profusely, much like his sister, who was half asleep on the couch, clutching onto her stomach with one hand and Chase's shirt with the other.

Both of the kids had terrible fevers and since it was their first time getting this sick, they were acting as if they were dying. They must get it from me because I don't take being sick too well either.

Mason had wandered into my room early in the morning complaining that his belly hurt. Then he ended up puking all over my bed. Turned out that Emmi also wasn't feeling well, but has yet to throw up.

Having one sick kid was bad enough, but two? It wasn't fun. Especially when they both wanted constant attention.

I sighed and carefully moved the pieces of hair that were plastered to his forehead by sweat.

"I know baby, but it'll be better soon. I promise," I said calmingly. I rocked him in my arms while he rested his head on my shoulder and cried softly. Walking into the kitchen with him, I took out a sippy cup and filled it with ice cold water. "Here sweetie, drink this," I handed him the cup and he gladly took it.

When I walked back into the living room, I set him on the couch with Emmi whose eyes were slowly dropping shut. I was just about sit between the two, desperately needing a rest, but the doorbell rang through the house causing me to release a groan.

I was so tired and it seemed as if the world didn't want me to rest.

I stalked towards the door and being a complete dumbass, I completely forgot about the existence of the peephole, so when I swung the door open my whole stomach dropped.

There, standing in front of me, was the last person I would ever expect with his hands shoved in his jean pockets and a frown on his face.

For a few moments we just stared at each other as I wondered why the hell he was standing at my door step. He looked different from our last encounter at the hospital. His eyes looked softer and he didn't look as angry. He almost looked like the old Chase I used to know.

Almost.

How did he even know where I lived?

"Hey," he said, breaking me from my thoughts. I swallowed a lump that had formed in my throat and frowned.

"What are you doing here? How did you find out where I lived?" I asked, tightly clutching onto the door. As much as I would like to slam the door in his face and tell him to get out of my apartment complex, I was anxious to see what he came for.

"I think we need to talk,"

I sighed and shook my head. He came here unannounced, to talk? Was he here to tell me how much of a horrible person I am and rub how much he hated me in my face?

"Chase, now isn't exactly the time. I have two sick children I need to take care of right now. Maybe another t-," I was stopped mid sentence when a loud, ear piercing scream, echoed through the house. I recognized it as Emmi's and I would be lying if I said I hadn't heard it before.

It reminded me of the time she had smashed her two fingers in her bedroom door about six months ago. The scream was enough to break anyone's heart.

"I'm sorry Chase, but you should leave," I gave him one last look and shut the door in his face, rushing to the living room to see what Emmi was screaming about.