Chapter 10:

The next day as I waited outside Lilly's door, I contemplated whether or not I was making the right decision. I already knew that she'd be angry at me. Actually, she was most likely going to be much, much more than just angry. But what my mother told me made gave me an unsettling feeling that something had happened. I needed to see my best friend. If I could even call her that anymore.

I raised my hand and lightly knocked on the door, just enough for her to hear. I waited for just a few moments before I heard the door unlock and the girl who I've known since I was little appeared in front of me.

As soon as her eyes landed on me, a frown fell onto her face and her eyes narrowed into thin slits. That's not what caught my attention though. Her protruding stomach did. She was pregnant.

"What are you doing here?" She snapped. I just stared at her, not knowing exactly what to say. "Well?"

"I...uh....I thought we could maybe talk," she scoffed and rolled her eyes. She was definitely pissed at me.

"Oh! So you think you can just drop off the face of the earth one day without a word said as to why and then show up on my doorstep four years later wanting to talk?"

Stupidly, I nodded my head. Sometimes I surprise myself at how stupid I can be.

Her expression proved that what I said was really not what she wanted to hear.

"Well, I don't want to talk to you!" And with that, she slammed the door in my face.

I let out a sigh and debated whether I should just leave. She didn't exactly seem like she was happy to see me and her stubbornness probably doesn't help.

Maybe I should just try again another day.

I turned around to leave, but instantly stopped.

I couldn't do it. I needed to talk to her. I wanted to.

I knocked on the door yet again, much harder.

"Lilly! Open up, please!" I screamed through the door. I wasn't sure if she could even heard me, but it was worth a shot.

I was proven right when I heard her muffled voice yell back. "No! Why would I want to talk to you!"

"Because it's important! Please, Lilly. I need to tell you why I left!"

I didn't hear a response. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect next. I raised my fist, ready to knock again, but the door opened before I could.

Lilly stood there, her blue eyes much softer than the first time she opened the door.

Her eyes were the same as the twins. The twins she has yet to know she's an aunt to. My stomach dropped thinking about it. I felt horrible that I kept this big of a secret from her.

What I failed to realize when I left, was not only did I hurt and lie to Chase, but I hurt and lied to my best friend too.

"I guess you can come in then," she said softly as she cradled her baby bump with one hand.

I smiled lightly and she led me into her house.

I still had a chance.

"Would you like anything to drink?" She asked. She still had a little snap in her voice, but at least she wasn't jumping at my throat and trying to strangle me to death.

"No thank you," I replied, taking a seat at her kitchen table.

I looked around at her house, remembering how much I always loved her home. It still looked the same, just with a few new decorations that she has gotten over the years since I've been gone.