Chapter 13

Chapter Thirteen

          "Around eleven in the evening yesterday, a local grocery store owner called into the police department with a complaint that he saw someone crouched near his tires.  After he went out to check and see if there was damage done, he noticed each one of them had been slashed," the reporter on the television stated through too much happiness, staring straight into the camera with a wide, fake, annoying smile. 

          "It wasn't long after the store owner called in about his tires before a yard fire was said to have started.  It didn't take long for police to conclude that it was arson; most likely a prank pulled by, what police believe to be, a few drunk, adolescent teenagers,"  the reporter paused and sighed, but still kept the same annoying smile plastered across her face.  "There have not been any leads thus far, but we will continue to cover the case." 

          Haven heard the television as she walked in through the back door.  It was blaring in the living room, the authoritative sound echoing throughout the house.  As she walked inside, she saw Jackson come out into the kitchen, where she was standing and listening to the news report, surprise written on her face.

          He chuckled a little before smiling and winking at her.  Then, she saw Yolanda appear behind him.  Sucking in a breath slowly, Haven tried to walk past Jackson, but he only grabbed her shoulder to shove her back.

          "I know what's going on here . . . "  Yolanda said, glaring down Haven, "You can't act innocent forever, Haven.  One day, your tricks are going to catch up to you and Darin won't want you anymore. He doesn't like liars." 

          "Then what makes you think he's ever going to want you?"  Haven snapped, surprised at her own burst of gusto. 

          "You better check that fucking tone," Yolanda spat out, stepping close enough so she was just inches from Haven's face.  Breathing sharply out through her nose, Haven clenched her jaw together.  At her sides, her fists were also clenched and she could feel her knuckles growing ghost white. 

          "Do you know what you need, Haven?"  

          She didn't respond, just glared blankly at the girl.

          "You need intuition; you need to know when things are going south.  Maybe you should've listened to it when you first came here, huh?  Maybe then you wouldn't be getting involved with Darin.  Maybe then I wouldn't have to meddle in your relationship.  Maybe then you wouldn't have to go down for those crimes being reported on the television," Yolanda said with a smirk. 

          Without another word, Haven slowly stepped back and nodded slightly.  She was visibly shaking with anger and holding back her rage-filled thoughts and wishes.  She couldn't get in trouble, now; she couldn't get in trouble with everything she could lose.  She didn't want that to happen . . . and she figured the best way to avoid trouble was to avoid Yolanda. 

          "There you go," Yolanda said with a deviant smirk.  "Now, was that so hard?" 

          Haven's temper flared and she felt her small upper arm twitch with the thought of driving her fist straight into Yolanda's row of perfect, pearly teeth.  As a laugh boomed out of Jackson, Haven looked up, ready to swing right as her fist tightened further.  Just as she lifted her arm, someone bellowed out to her. 

          "Haven, stop!"  The familiar voice broke all concentration from Haven, causing her to stop mid-swing.  Her eyes shut for only a moment before opening again.  As she turned, her eyes fell on Derek.