Chapter 14

Chapter Fourteen

          As school slowly dragged by, Haven found herself fidgeting over what Yolanda had said to her this morning.  She didn't understand what she meant by "meddle in your relationship", seeing as though Yolanda should have no idea about her and Darin being together. 

          Maybe she didn't mean her relationship with Darin, though . . .  Maybe she meant their friendship or the bond between them that Yolanda wanted so desperately to have with Darin.  Maybe she had no idea they were an item, now and she just wanted to scare Haven. 

          Sighing, Haven slightly leaned against Darin's motorcycle.  He told her during lunch that he'd received a detention from his English teacher for a snide remark about the play they were doing.  Taking in a deep breath, Haven closed her eyes for a moment. 

          "Waiting for someone?"  She heard a sneer from in front of her.  Opening her eyes, Haven's connected with a set of crystal blue orbs she didn't want to see. 

          "Get the fuck out of my face," she groaned, rubbing her temples with two fingers each.  She just wanted to see Darin right now; she didn't want to see anyone else except Darin and Yolanda was only going to make things worse. 

          "Someone's a little snappy today, don't you think?"  She asked, tilting her head sideways.  Groaning in frustration, Haven sat down on the ground, pulling her knees to her chest.  She buried her face in her hair and slammed her eyes closed in an attempt to block out the annoying blond.  She didn't have the mindset to deal with her right now. 

          "What's the matter, Haven?"  Yolanda asked, sneering a little, "Are you waiting for Darin?  Your little boyfriend should be out in a little bit to save you before I beat you bloody, honey.  So, no worries there . . . " 

          Suddenly, something hard came crashing into Haven's side.  Then, Yolanda's sickening laugh echoed in Haven's ears.  With each and every hit, Haven didn't feel pain.  She just started to grow cold and angry inside. 

          Then, Haven jumped up and grabbed onto the blond's hair.  Without thinking, she threw Yolanda into the concrete and looked down at her.  Tears were falling from her eyes and Haven felt nothing but the rage disappearing. 

          "I told you to get the fuck out of my face," Haven spat the words at Yolanda. 

          "Haven!"  She heard from behind her.  Turning around, her eyes landed on Darin, who had a worried look on his face.  Rushing over to her, he lifted her shirt slightly to see an already forming bruise.  

          "You best get out of here, Yolanda," Darin mumbled while examining the bruise.  He lightly touching it with his pinkie, sending shooting pain through Haven.  This caused her to jump back, but Darin didn't let go of her shirt.  

          He only pulled it up a little more to see the entire bruise.  In the time that he did this, he had managed to accidentally expose Haven's tattoo.  This was the second time he'd seen the roman numerals on her side, but he still hadn't managed to figure out what the distinct VIII meant. 

          "It's not that bad," she said, pulling her shirt out of his hand and covering her tattoo.  It was almost as if an alarm had gone off inside once the fresh, after-rain air had brushed her concealed secret and now the world knew about it. 

          It didn't take long for Yolanda to stand and run off down the street, toward the foster home as she held her head.  Panic arose in Darin as he realized she'd be going to tell Charlie and Maragret a lie about what had happened.  Quickly, he jumped on his bike and demanded Haven get on.