Epilogue

Epilogue

One Year Later

          "Are you ready to get out of here?"  Darin asked, hugging Haven from behind.  It was then that he saw she was wearing shorts and a tank top.  Her scars were showing, but she was doing her best to ignore them.  She promised she would try and move on and Darin was beyond proud of her for actually trying. 

          "I'm almost ready . . . "  Haven said with a small smile.  She looked around the attic room, trying to decide if she should take anything else with her or not.  She was terrified to move out and start her life, but it was time she did.  

          "You have five minute before I come up here and carry you out myself!"  Darin called as he rushed down the stairs.  He was overly happy today, and Haven felt like she knew why. 

          With a sigh, she sat down on the bed.  She held a small bird sculpture she had crafted at an art convention that Darin took her to last month.  It was the last thing she didn't have room to pack, but she didn't have it in her heart to leave her small, shining sparrow behind. 

          It was her symbol of moving forward.  

          Smiling, Haven looked around the room.  There were still lights hanging over her bed and there were pictures all over the room.  The dresser had been cleared out and all the dusty bunnies were cleaned up. 

          The window had been wiped clean, and she could clearly see the Thinking Tree from her window.  She and Darin had decided to call it that after Matthew was convicted so that she could simply go out, sit and think about whatever she wanted.  On occasion, she would go out and write or draw there, letting her mind take over her art and literature.  

          That's what it was for, after all. 

          Standing, she walked around the room.  

          It felt empty, but somehow full.  She could picture all the memories in her head.  She could remember when Darin began sleeping with her in her bed before claiming it as their room.  He held her every night . . .  He comforted her when she couldn't sleep and woke her up when her dreams were turning into nightmares. 

          "Come on, Haven!  It's time to leave!"  He sang out the last word, causing her to laugh.  She took one last look around before walking down the steps and jumping on Darin.  He caught her and spun her around the hallway. 

          "I am so excited, aren't you?"  He asked, causing her to smile and laugh lightly. 

          "Are you sure about this?"  He asked after he set her down on her two feet.  With a nod, she shut the light off and closed the door. 

          "What did that symbolize?"  Ryan asked in a sarcastic tone as he made his way down to her.  She smiled at him weakly, wrapping her arms around his shoulders and squeezing lightly.  She didn't want to leave him behind, but she didn't have a choice. 

          "Closing the door to my past and moving on?"  She offered with a shrug. 

          "Right, right.  Nice metaphor, oh wise one," he joked and shook his head back and forth.  "Promise you'll come visit?  Odessa will kill me and Derek and Jackson will miss you oh so much if you abandon us!" 

          "Not to mention Ryan!"  Darin cheered in a mocking voice. 

          "Be nice," Haven said, pointing at him.  He bit her finger playfully before kissing her gently.  She kissed him back immediately before they headed downstairs.