Snowfall on a Hot Day

Today was like any normal day. Waking up, scraping by at the boring prison known as school, then coming back home to sleep and repeat the process.

But today was a little different that only came around 16 times so far - Your birthday.

Sadly, it wasn't like the 'happy' birthday people gloated about with the presents and cake and people to hang out with. In fact, you really didn't have much human contact, and spending each birthday alone showed for it.

"I'm home!" You yelled as you entered your house, taking your shoes off and laughing at your words.

You took your time in finishing your chores for the day, mindlessly singing bits of songs that popped into your head. It was boring, sure, but you had somehow been able to make it through so far. As much as you didn't want to admit it, you liked the quiet.

You sat down at your kitchen table with a whole array for yourself. You went out before coming home from school and bought something nice for yourself to go along with the small cake you made. You also bought some balloons to make it more colorful.

A sigh slowly came from your lips and back in again once you lit the candle atop your cake.

"I wish..." You mumbled, "I wish I had someone here with me."

The candlelight went out as you blew on it, slowly decreasing.

A thought popped into your head and you smiled at it. "Even if it's- I don't know- Langa or Reki, or... I'd even take Adam at this point..."

The smile faltered as you saw the only light in the room go out. You weren't sure if it was the tears that had started forming that made everything blurry, or that it was too dark.

"I wish I could live another life, one where I had friends."

You admired the anime that Langa and Reki were from, the two were such good friends and made them so fast – better than you could do. Even if it were a pipe dream, you imagined yourself skating with them and doing whatever you could before the sun had left.

"Well, that's the end of today I guess." You dragged your thumb right below your eyes, so you didn't cry, or leave your face too red.

You moved slowly as you packed everything up and headed to your bedroom. You hit the bed with a small 'uhmfp' and got under the covers.

Looking up at your ceiling, the sk8 Infinity poster right in view. It had all the main characters – and as embarrassing as it was – you put some hearts around all the guys. Could you really help it though?

You smiled and closed your eyes, turning on your side. "Goodnight..."

It slipped out of your mouth and slightly hoped that maybe someone would respond.

And someone did. It was a male voice that sounded – teenagy. Then another one, one that seemed way calmer than the first one. It's as if they were hovering above you but slowly walked away as they continued their conversation.

That was your imagination, right? No one was in your house... Hopefully?

Before you knew it, it was the next day with your alarm blaring in your ear. You groggily smacked the off button and sighed. You might have been out of it, but you could have sworn your birthday was on a Friday and you could relax the next day.

Relentless, you got ready for school and put on the uniform from your dresser. Wait, uniform? You never used to have a uniform before, and where did it come from?

 Wait, uniform? You never used to have a uniform before, and where did it come from?