one: welcome to hogwarts

Isabela stood in front of the barrier between platforms 9 and 10, watching other young witches and wizards casually make their way through the wall. Her heart thumped erratically in her chest as she looked down at her red Converse peeking out from under her jeans. Her parents had already left, not able to stay longer because of their multiple jobs.

Born in Korea to a poor couple after the Korean War, Isabela and her family had (illegally) hitched a train ride across China, Russia, and Eastern Europe when she had been a mere toddler. They (illegally) settled in fascist Spain, though they quickly fled when there was the explosion over Palomares. After (illegally) moving to France, Spain's neighbor, her parents decided to (illegally) move to England, where her mother's sister was after marrying a British soldier.

They had arrived in England in time for her to receive a visit from Professor McGonagall, and thus thrust Isabela into another new world. But not illegally this time. Thank goodness.

In the train station, Isabela squared her shoulders, gripping the trolley tightly, and finally began walking. Professor McGonagall had explained how to get to the platform, so she closed her eyes, leaned into the trolley, and felt the brief darkness. 

As she kept walking, she was suddenly hit with a cacophony of sounds, and she quickly opened her eyes. All around her, people were bustling about, families and friends saying goodbyes and hellos. Isabela felt a twinge of resentment at her parents for not having accompanied her further, but she quickly brushed it away. Could non-magical people get through the barrier?

Isabela pushed her trolley a little further, before spotting a rack for empty ones. Weaving her way through the crowd, she reached the rack and heaved off her trunk before pushing the trolley in. She tried to lift her trunk again, but it was just too heavy. It only lifted about a centimeter before she dropped it. 

Cursing, Isabela tucked her hair behind her ears before rolling up the sleeves of her top. She ultimately settled with dragging her trunk, squeaking out "excuse me" every few seconds. Finally reaching the door to the train, she sucked in a breath before lifting one edge onto the train.

"Oh mon Dieu, pourquoi est-ce si lourd, oh merde," Isabela muttered under her breath, sweat beading on her hairline.

"Excuse me, do you need some help?" She heard from above, and she looked up to a kindly looking boy with small scars crisscrossing his face. She grinned sheepishly and nodded, embarrassment leaving behind a tell-tale red on her face. He laughed, and then, quite to her astonishment, lifted her trunk onto the train with ease.

Isabela followed after him as he ventured down the corridor, dodging other kids running around. He kept walking, then stopped for a second, looking flustered.

"If it's all right, you can come sit with me? I was just taking your trunk with out asking you," he said over the commotion, his cheeks pink. She nodded happily, glad to have found someone to sit with. 

He led her down to the last compartment, and she quickly reached around him to open the glass door for him. He murmured a thanks as he hoisted her trunk onto the overhead compartment.

 Isabela looked around, the two benches a dark green next to a large window. Sitting down on one side, she made herself comfortable, her legs not quite reaching the floor. The boy sat down across from her, and held out his hand.

"My name's Remus Lupin," he said with a grin, his brown eyes glinting underneath his dirty blond hair. "I take it you're a first year as well?"

"Isabela Kwon, and yes," she grinned back and shook his hand. She was still hesitant to speak English, because you could hear the French accent in every word. Regardless, she pushed on in this newer language. 

"Do you have a house you want to be in?" she asked, curious to know what he thought. Isabela had read Hogwarts, A History so many times in the few days she had it, she should've memorized most of it. The keyword is 'should've'.

He shrugged. "I think all of them are alright, so I'd honestly be fine in any house. Do you?"

"Same as you. I kind of want to be in all of them!" Isabela giggled, throwing her arms up. "How could I choose? Or, how could someone choose for me? Uh, do you know who chooses?"

Remus laughed, but his reply was cut off by the whistle of the train. She jumped to her feet, her face against the window in a second, as the train started moving. 

The train began pulling away from the platform full of families, mothers crying and fathers waving, which reminded her of her parents again. The jolt of sadness disappeared as she turned to face her new found friend again. 

"Sorry, you were saying somezing before ze train whistled at you," Isabela said apologetically, which made Remus laugh again.

They kept talking during the whole train ride, with the occasional interruption from other first years briefly popping in. She learned that Remus was also an only child and his father was a wizard at the British Ministry of Magic. They compared their wands, his having a curiously rounded base and being shorter than hers.

After quickly changing into the black Hogwarts robes (she glanced down distastefully at hers, having seen the Beauxbatons pretty blue uniforms), the train soon reached Hogsmeade and gave its whistle again. Remus and Isabela laughed at the sound, this time having interrupted her. 

They filed out of the train a bit late, due to her double checking that her wand was in pocket, to which it wasn't, and they spent a few minutes tearing the compartment apart. But Isabela eventually found it wedged between the cushions, and safely tucked it into her robe.

"Firs' years! Firs' years over here!" bellowed a (very) large man holding a lantern, which illuminated his large grin, nearly hidden beneath his bushy beard. Grabbing Remus' hand, she tugged him through the crowd to reach the man. 

"Name's Rubeus Hagrid, now follow me, follow me!" he called over his shoulder. He led them down to a large lake, where many small wooden boats floated, each one with its own lantern. Beyond the lake stood a glorious castle. Hogwarts. Oohs and aahs resounded among the group as everyone stared at the school, illuminated in the moonlight by many small twinkling lights.

Making their way down to the shore, Isabela nearly fell multiple times, being pulled up by Remus, who only chuckled. Soon they were at the water, the waves lapping their feet and the boats bobbing. 

Remus scrambled aboard one, and when she was about to follow, two rambunctious ( yes, it was the only way to describe them) boys hopped in, laughter filling the air. Her eyes narrowed at them as she climbed in after them, her robes wet from their splashing.

"Everyone in? Right then- FORWARD!" called Hagrid from his own boat. The blonde girl in the boat nearest to him flinched at the volume, then shrieked as all of the boats suddenly began gliding across the water. A large grin split her face as they began approaching Hogwarts. What a day.