five: betting with lily flowers

At the Sorting Ceremony, Isabela lost several bets against Jasper on which houses five kids would be sorted into. This meant she had to pay up.

She leaned against the table, studying the blonde boy who was sorted into Slytherin.

"I swear, he had a Ravenclaw face," she muttered as Jasper smirked.

"You need to get your eyes checked. That's another Knut!"

"Honestly! Alright, this one's a...Gryffindor."

"No, I say Hufflepuff."

The hat's brim opened. "Hufflepuff!"

Isabela groaned, slumping forward amid the cheers from the Hufflepuff table. She meant to hit her forehead against the table, but Jasper caught her head before she made contact.

"Go be a seer or something, I'm not betting with you anymore!"

Of course, Isabela continued to bet against Jasper until she racked up a quite a debt.

When the food finally appeared at the tables, Isabela had finally conceded, while Jasper had correctly matched nearly half of the new students to their houses.

The next morning, Isabela wanted to cry. She couldn't find her favorite scrunchie, the one that she had bought with her aunt while out in London.

"Are you sure it's not in the bottom of your trunk?" Alice asked, concern etched across her face.

"I already checked... Oh my goodness Alice you're an angel!" Isabela cried out, holding up the blue scrunchie.

Lily sighed.

After a mundane breakfast and receiving their schedules (to which James swooned upon finding nearly half of his classes coincided with Lily's), Isabela left the Great Hall with Jasper to head to their first class of the day.

Jasper and Isabela entered the Potions classroom, the room noisy as kids chose their seats. She spotted a desk in the back and headed towards it, dragging Remus along. She carefully set Jasper's bag down at his side of the bench, then swung around, dramatically dropping into her seat with her own bag. Jasper sighed, then pushed her bag over with his toe and sat down, relaxed, on the bench. He had a special knack for potions, which was why Isabela made sure to always be his partner. She had burnt, exploded, and ruined too many potions to trust herself anymore.

As the class filled up, the older, rather pudgy professor walked in, his long black robes trailing behind him. The noisy room quieted, mostly everyone ready to start learn. Professor Slughorn began talking about the O.W.Ls, which would take place at the end of the year. After adequately raising the class's anxiety levels, he set the class off to start on the Invigoration Draught. Noise gradually started filling the room again, as everyone bustled around, gathering ingredients and starting fires (safely).