thirteen

❉ ╧╧╧╧ ✿ ╧╧╧╧ ❉

"THIS IS SO COOL."

The Hollywood Ghost Club buzzed after Caleb Covington's thrilling performance. Performers made their way through the crowd, smiling and stopping to chat with those who snagged their arms. The members of the Sunset Curve all shared the excitement, unable to sit back down.

Charlotte nudged her brother with her elbow. "I thought you said it was creepy."

"Well, that was before I saw her," Reggie replied, his wide eyes locked on a dancer covered in pink glitter. One of her bright eyes winked at him, her fingers dancing in a little wave. He waved back, and Charlotte rolled her eyes.

"I knew I recognized him," Alex caught the twin's attention, referencing Caleb as he glanced between his friends. "He's the guy that bumped into me outside the Orpheum!"

"He looked familiar to me, too," Charlotte piped up. "But only because I'm pretty sure we talked about him in history class."

Reggie agreed with a snap of his fingers. "You're right! Wasn't he that magician dude that died a horrible death doing a trick?"

Alex made a face. "Yeah, I wouldn't really bring that up when we meet him."

"You guys should come back when he shows one of his movies," Willie stated, almost bouncing up and down from the energy in the room. "I mean, for Titanic, he literally floods the entire place. I mean, the guy has got skills!"

Luke, who had taken a seat on the table, leaned closer to Willie to be heard over the other guests and background music. "All right, but he can wave his arms and make ghosts visible to lifers?"

Willie shrugged and bit back a smile. "Told you, the guy's got skills."

"So where'd he go?" Reggie asked, but yelped when he noticed the magician appear behind Luke and Alex. "Oh, gosh, I, uh, there he is. I found him!"

Charlotte yanked Luke off the table to stand next to her, everyone facing Caleb. "Hello, boys!" he greeted and widened his smile when he specifically noticed Charlotte. "And lady, of course. Welcome to the Hollywood Ghost Club. Enjoying the show?"

"Yo, that was, I mean," any chance Luke held of acting calm in front of Caleb flew out the window from his stutters. "Did you, like--"

Charlotte covered her mouth with her hand to hide her smile while Caleb chuckled and patted his shoulder. "I know."

"This is Alex, Luke, Charlotte, and Reggie," Willie properly introduced the band to his boss.

"It's really nice to meet you," Alex said. Charlotte and Luke settled for polite smiles. Reggie threw his hand up in a peace sign.

"The pleasure is all mine," Caleb replied with sincerity. He let out a content sigh. "Nothing warms my heart more than sharing this magic with new friends." He motioned to their silver chairs. "Please, sit. Sit."

Willie and the band listened, taking the same seats as they did for the show. A waiter appeared with another chair for Caleb, placing it between Luke and Alex, who thanked Caleb for the invitation to the club.

"Of course," Caleb nodded his head once and crossed his legs before glancing over the musicians. "Now, my friend Willie tells me you guys have some magic of your own."

Alex completely froze from the way Caleb quirked up an eyebrow in his direction. His cheeks burned. He forced himself to clear his throat, Willie next to him - happy and oblivious. "Well, um, Willie and I? I mean, I wouldn't really call it magic, but, I mean--"