seventeen

❉ ╧╧╧╧ ✿ ╧╧╧╧ ❉

THE NEXT MORNING, JULIE FOUND AN UNUSUAL SIGHT IN THE KITCHEN.

Her father moved about to cook breakfast, which was normal, but he couldn't stop singing Finally Free. He wore a bright grin that widened when he saw his daughter. At his sides, by the kitchen island, were Reggie and Charlotte. The siblings looked happy singing with him.

Julie smiled and set her bag in one of the chairs. "This is new."

"Yeah, I was in the mood for cooking some breakfast," Ray replied with a shrug.

"Which looks absolutely delicious," Charlotte said, her arms resting on the counter.

Reggie giggled. "He thought you were talking to him. That doesn't get old. Me, Char, and your dad are pals now!"

"It's, uh, a little one-sided," Charlotte sheepishly admitted. "But it works."

Ray continued to scramble eggs in a frying pan. "Look, after the talk we had last night, I was thinking that I may have cost you an opportunity with that manager," he told Julie. "So, I was thinking--"

"Dad, no," Julie interrupted. "I should've never snuck out."

"Let the man speak," Reggie said as Ray looked down at the pan. "He's been stress eating all morning. But I don't know where he puts it though." He moved his hands in front of Ray's stomach. "It's, like, firm."

Ray went on. "I know, but I really want to support your band so I called in some favors and booked you a local gig."

"Best dad ever!" Charlotte and Reggie exclaimed together.

Julie shared their excitement but made a mental note to question their 'twin telepathy' skills after her dad left. "Oh my gosh," she grinned. "Where? Did you call your buddy from Drakes?"

Ray winced. "Not quite," he said. "I called Flynn and she's gonna help us throw a party. Here, tonight."

"Oh," realization flickered across Julie's face. "So you booked us a gig...at our house?"

Reggie whispered to his sister, "Maybe we were early with the Best Dad Ever award."

"Oh, he's doing his best," Charlotte waved her hand. "He's supporting us nonetheless. Give him a chance to explain."

"All right, hear me out." Ray clarified his idea, "You invite some of your friends over, you play with your band, and I'll get some colleagues to put you on film. That way, you have something professional for your Youtube."

Charlotte shot Reggie a pointed look. "Told ya."

"You'd do that for me?" Julie asked her dad.

"Yeah!" Ray grinned as he picked up his frying pan and moved the eggs to a small plate. Then, he handed it to Julie so she could eat while he got his belongings ready for work.

"You're right," Reggie agreed with Charlotte. "He's back to Best Dad Ever." He smiled between her and Julie, already hyped up to play again. "I'll go tell Alex and Luke! We can start rehearsing while you're at school."

"I'll join you guys later," Charlotte informed him. "Julie's letting me sit in on one of her classes."

Reggie shrugged. "Cool with me." He caught sight of Julie's dad heading to the living room. "Have a good day at work, Ray!"

Sadly, the man ignored him. Charlotte made a face and Julie hid a smile.

"It's okay," Reggie excused. "You don't have to answer. Alright, time to go."