three

❉ ╧╧╧╧ ✿ ╧╧╧╧ ❉

"OKAY, WHEN YOU SAID WE WERE GOING TO SEE HOW MUSIC CHANGED, I DIDN'T THINK YOU WOULD BRING US HERE."

Alex and Reggie agreed with Charlotte's words, on either side of her and Luke. Together, the four sat above the Orpheum entrance and let their feet dangle off the edge. The sun had already set, the city still buzzing with life. Bright signs covered the stars and groups of people happily chatted as they walked down the sidewalk.

Charlotte sucked in a breath when she saw some teenagers around their age. There were five, all grinning and teasing each other on the street. Her head tilted, though, towards one of the boys and a girl. His arm wrapped around her shoulder, and he brought her close to his side to press a kiss to her hair. Something he said made the girl giggle and playfully shove him away, but he didn't let her. He picked her up and twirled them around, their laughter filling the air. It was like they were in their own little world.

Charlotte swallowed hard, casting her gaze to her lap where she fiddled with her fingers.

Luke bumped her shoulder with his, looking at her with his brows furrowed. "Hey, I know being dead isn't our first choice," he said, thinking he knew why she was upset, "but, I mean, it sure is easy getting around."

"Easy for you, maybe," Reggie scoffed and awkwardly shifted in just his leather jacket. "I lost my shirt on that one!" A moment and a bright flash later, his signature white T-shirt reappeared and he brightened. "Oh, nevermind!"

Charlotte's facade cracked from her brother's antics, her lips quirking up. The two locked eyes and he offered her a smile, to which she couldn't help but return. He always did know how to make her feel better.

"Okay, so why'd you bring us here?" Alex questioned Luke. "Just another painful reminder of where we never got to play." He sarcastically grinned and leaned over to pat his shoulder. "Thanks, Luke."

"I mean, guys, the game isn't over yet," Luke grinned, and grabbed Charlotte's hand. In a second, they flashed to ground level with Reggie and Alex right behind them. He talked to her but raised his voice so the boys could hear him over his shoulder. "I'm telling you, we've been given a second chance! Let's find some music."

"I hope you're not planning on hitting clubs till sunrise," Charlotte teased, not minding how he gently tugged her along. "I promised Alex we would digest dying and becoming ghosts and we can't do that if we're out all night."

"We have the rest of eternity to process becoming ghosts," Luke said and picked up his pace. "I'm pretty sure there was a karaoke bar at the end of the block. Come on!"

"Okay, what's wrong with him?" Alex walked beside Reggie, referring to Luke. "Ever since we showed up in the studio, he's barely left Char's side."

"Well, we've known that he's liked her since middle school," Reggie reminded him, his hands in the pockets of his jacket. "Maybe because of everything that's happened, he finally wants to do something about it."

Alex pursed his lips but agreed. "Yeah, that's true," he said and then stifled a laugh. "Remember when you confronted him about it in tenth grade?"

Reggie grinned. "Oh, definitely. He thought I was going to quit the band and drag Charlotte away with me."

"Thank god that never happened," Alex dramatically sighed, throwing his arm around Reggie. "Luke and I need you two."