fourteen

❉ ╧╧╧╧ ✿ ╧╧╧╧ ❉

LUCKILY, ALEX MANAGED TO GET DOWN FROM THE CEILING.

Yet, the members of Sunset Curve hit another obstacle as they tried to run out of the Hollywood Ghost Club. Caleb appeared in front of the stairs, blocking the exit.

"Friends," he greeted them casually. "What's the rush? The party's just getting started, and you have an eternity, after all."

"You know that girl that can see us?" Reggie asked as Charlotte helped Luke shrug on his jacket. Caleb nodded once. "Well, we kinda bailed on her. There's this dance at her school tonight and her friend Flynn is, like a super cool DJ, like--"

"Okay, I don't think he has an eternity to hear this story," Alex interrupted him.

"Basically, we're late for the gig," Charlotte summarized. The boys agreed, Luke adjusting his collar.

Caleb only raised an eyebrow. "But what about my offer?"

"It's very cool of you, Mr. Covington," Luke told him sincerely. "But, as we said, we already have a--"

"A band of your own," Caleb concluded. When the teenagers nodded, he smiled. "I understand." Something about his tone made Charlotte doubt. "But if you ever want to come back and fix that little problem with your friend, the Hollywood Ghost Club is always open."

"We would love to come back," she told him but glanced at the clock. It was now already 12:15.

Caleb grinned. "Music to my ears." He held out his hand for her to shake and she did so without thinking much of it, too worried about Julie. But the second his skin touched hers, Carly frowned. A sharp burning sensation danced on the inner side of her wrist. When she looked down, a bright purple mark sizzled for a moment and then disappeared.

Casting her gaze to the boys, she noticed the same mark appear right after they shook hands with Caleb. All of them looked at each other, unsure.

"Oh, it's just a little club stamp," Caleb waved off their obvious concern with his hand and smiled once more. But this time Charlotte felt wary by the look in his eyes. "Until next time."

Reggie exchanged smiles with the magician and then headed for the door. Luke and Charlotte followed, their hands intertwined. Alex, though, stayed back for a minute. Caleb tilted his head.

"Uh," Alex cleared his throat. "If, if Willie asks, uh, not that he would, but if he does, will you let him know that I was looking for him?"

Caleb's eyes scanned the boy before he offered him a small smile and nodded. Alex's own grin widened. "Thanks."

He rejoined the others, who were waiting for him by the door. Charlotte looked at him with worry. "Everything alright, Lex?"

"I think so," he replied. "But we don't really have time to think about it. Everyone ready for the dance?"

"As ready as we'll ever be for arriving to said dance over three hours late."

❉ ╧╧╧╧ ✿ ╧╧╧╧ ❉

The dance had cleared out.

The only two people left were Flynn and Julie, who sat side by side on the gym floor. Around them was the huge balloon arch, but it was fading away with every pin the girls stabbed into it. Julie was scared of the noise at first, due to the large echo. But the bitterness stirring her gut definitely felt better.