Chapter 22

"I'm sorry, Ethan, I just had a lot of papers to do earlier."

I thought I could handle a long distance relationship.

Pero ang hirap pala.

"It's fine, baby. I understand," he said and smiled. Napangiti rin ako ng tipid.

It wasn't fine for me.

I've been busy ever since I started studying for my Master's degree, and last, last month, kasisimula ko lang sa Doctorate's degree ko. I didn't have much time to bond with my friends, or even catch up with Ethan after the summer vacation.

Pero sa sobrang understanding nila, lalo na si Ethan, hindi ko na maiwasang maiyak minsan. He'd always say that it's okay, that he understands, and just smiles like I wasn't lacking.

I knew I was, and it was unfair for him. Kasi he always made time for me, kahit minsan, ang dami niya ring ginagawa. Habang ako naman, lagi nalang pino-postpone or cina-cancel yung catch up nights namin.

"Hey, you're crying again.." he muttered as he watched me from his screen, his eyebrows furrowing as he wore a frown.

I chuckled and wiped my tears. "I'm sorry.. I'm sorry,"

"Why are you apologizing?" He cooed.

I sniffed. "I don't know.. I just missed you, and I haven't spent much time for you since the past few weeks.. I'm so sorry," I quietly cried.

"Baby, you're making me wanna fly to the Philippines tonight," he said, sadness audible in his voice. I couldn't help but laugh.

I shook my head. "Don't even think about doing that, love."

Napa-tawa siya. "So, stop crying already. Tell me, what's up?"

I then spent the night talking to him, while he spent his day talking to me, about things we failed to mention to each other the past few weeks because I kept on calling out a raincheck sa sobrang dami ng mga school works ko. I ranted about so many things, while he told me funny stories. It was a Saturday for me, and a Friday for him, kaya we took our time kasi hindi kami gaanong magiging busy sa susunod na araw.

"Blare?"

Agad akong napalingon sa tumawag saakin, and smiled as I saw a familiar face.

"Hello, Nico!" I greeted him with a wide smile. Bumalik ako sa pagpipili ng mga gulay, internally debating with myself if dalawa or tatlong piraso ng kalabasa ang kukunin ko.

"Hi," he said and smiled back. "Mag-isa ka lang?" He asked, looking behind me to check if I was with someone.

I nodded. "Sadly, yeah. I'm running out of groceries na sa condo, so I had to buy some." I replied, pointing at my small basket that was almost full. "Ikaw, are you with Eri?"

He shook his head. "She's at the apartment with her sister. She suddenly craved for ginisang kalabasa pati sitaw, kaya kinailangan kong bumili. Alam mo na, naglilihi," he replied and chuckled. My eyes widened as I processed what he said.

"S-she's pregnant?" I asked, shocked.

They just got married, like, four months ago! And I was there! But maybe, just maybe, Eri was already pregnant with the baby before the wedding.

He chuckled at my reaction and nodded, shyly scratching his head. "Since when?" I asked again.

"Six months na," he replied. My mouth formed an 'o' as I nodded. I guess I thought right.

"That's cute! Are you gonna ask for the gender na ba? Or you want it to be a surprise?" I asked him as I watched him choose among the bundles of string beans.