TWO. girl with the expensive ass

HOPE'S POV

MG races past me, clipping my shoulder and shouting an amused sorry as he chases behind Kaleb, trying to pry the phone from his hands. I don't even want to know what they're fighting about, or over.

I shake the loose snow out of my hair and remove my fur coat, setting it aside along with my bagged lunch. I sit down behind my till and fold the collar on my god awful blue vest, readjusting the skin tight white undershirt, just to classify as presentable.

I release a sigh as the clock strikes 6:00 am. Jed opens our store doors and a few old people barge in with trolleys, charging down the aisles with greed.

I laugh to myself at the Christmas rush and unpocket my phone, swiping my finger across the screen and opening up my messages. The perks of being left in charge is not having to answer to anyone other than yourself. I was officially, unofficially my own boss.

2 UNREAD messages from mom
1 missed call from the ex with small dick

I ignore the missed call from he who shall not be named and click on my moms recent conversation, gazing over her texts.

Mom| 5:49 am
Would you please, pretty please let your father know I threw out his fav jacket by accident 😬

Mom| 5:52 am
Tell him that I will replace it with whatever he desires as long as it doesn't cost me a fortune

I giggle at her texts and send back a response.

Hope| 6:01 am
Why can't you tell him yourself?

The three bubbles appear as my mom starts typing and I lean back in my chair, waiting for a reply when a perfectly manicured hand slaps down on the counter in front of me. I jump, startled and shove my phone back into my pocket. As my eyes focus themselves on the new face, my heart stops beating for a second.

The blonde woman from yesterday. Her hair is in a high ponytail, a few stray hairs framing her irritated face, with her cheeks tinted pink and lips already positioned in a sharp scowl.

She is wearing a tight black turtleneck that is especially tight across her small but perky chest. Long legs covered with checkered white and grey pants that curved around her plump backside deliciously. I gulp and stand up, my full height far from her by at least four inches.

I can thank the ancestral genetics for having inherited the short legs syndrome and standing around 5'3. I already hate Lizzie for her lanky figure, screw her and her family's genetics.

I push aside my crooked thoughts and force a smile to distract my mouth from slacking open over her appearance. "You're late."

Her blue eyes harden for just a second before she realises why she's here and how she came to be here, in this position — she's only here because of me. "Sorry, I had a small fight with my sister." She looks down at the ground, shifting the coat she held in her right hand to the left as she grabs her phone to check the time. "And I'm only 3 minutes late."

I couldn't mask my curiosity. "Is that who was here with you yesterday?" I ask, holding her gaze.

"Are you always this nosey or is the fact that I'm not openly hostile today make you think we'll be future friends?" She snaps, her teeth sinking into her bottom lip as she looks me over heatedly.

Wow okay, so she's a complete hot tempered bitch.

"Let's get one thing straight," I begin, rounding the counter and meeting her halfway, craning my head to scowl up at her, because she's incredibly tall. "You work for me now, under my demand and a huge part of working here involves learning about the person you hired. To be sure they're fit for the job. It's basic common sense."