FOUR. did someone say virgin?

HOPE'S POV

"I'm dying, give me coffee." I groan, extending my cup and stuffing my face into the crook of my bent arm.

MG snickers, taking the mug from my hands and pouring steaming hot coffee into it, filling it to the brim. "Thank god," I snatch the cup and tip it back. "Have I ever mentioned how much I love you." Again, coffee is not something I openly enjoy drinking but if it keeps me energized, I don't care for the gross after taste.

MG's face forms a smug expression. "A few times." He says, grinning like a mad man. "Busy day, huh?"

"Ugh you don't even know the half of it. I haven't had a minute to think properly when all I'm doing is constantly serving customer after customer. I have officially lost count of the multitudes of Karens storming through my checkout and picking arguments about the way I service people and my apparent lack of manners." I complain, taking smaller sips of my coffee.

"I'm a people person but even I couldn't keep my cool if I was in your position."

I hum. "Be glad you're not me."

"How's the gift selecting coming along?"

"It's not." I state, lifting my head with a frown. "I have no clue what to get the damn girl." MG thinks for a second, but I grunt, throwing my hand up. "Nope, don't even say it."

The boy deflates on the spot, squinting his eyes. "But how'd you know what I was gonna say!" He slaps my hand laying on the table and I flip him off with no shame.

Why should I, we have the breakout room to ourselves because most employees wanted to spend their time working through the lunch break for extra cash.

MG and I clearly couldn't care enough, we needed our break.

"Because you're wearing that smile."

"What smile?" He huffs childishly, acting like he wasn't guilty of doing the smile, but his mouth was revealing teeth and that meant his smile was unable to be masked.

"The one where you come up with ideas such as suggesting I buy her a superhero costume or gift her a book full of the best 1000 jokes to tell your significant other." I can read him better than I can read myself, trust me when I say his smile differs his mood and exposes what he's thinking.

"Ugh," MG scoffs, waving me off bitterly. "Just trying to help." He didn't deny any of that, meaning I was correct.

A knock comes from behind us and I turn, glancing over my shoulder. Kaleb purses his lips, knuckles still hovering above the door frame. "There's someone here to see you," he says, nodding at me. "And MG, get your ass out here, break ended twenty seconds ago."

MG sucks in a breath, sneakily rolling his eyes. "Coming, geez. Didn't realise Dorian left you in charge."

Kaleb raises his eyebrows. "You giving me sass?"

MG decides against scoffing and shakes his head, playing off the eye roll he accidentally let slip the second time. "I saw that." Kaleb grumbles.

"No you didn't." MG remarks and leaves the room with a feisty Kaleb in tow.

I wash my coffee cup out and place it on the clean side of the sink, exiting the breakout room and approaching my checkout where I assumed whoever is here to see me would be waiting in patience.

Maybe it's my mom. She sometimes pays me a visit to check on me and see how my day's going.

I walk closer, to my horror my ex-boyfriend is standing there, propped against my station and looking around like he's on the hunt for someone, no doubt me. Oh god, oh boy, shit, shit- he's glancing this way, quick-