Chapter 6

Short chapter - sorry :(

The door opened and Tia Victoria walked in.

Julie ran up to her and engulfed her in a hug.

"What's wrong Mija? You sounded upset on the phone"

"Tia... everything is just so confusing right now. I don't know what to do, and mom isn't here, and I can't exactly talk to dad about this sort of stuff. Why did mom have to go? I needed her. Didn't she know that? Couldn't she have sensed that? I need my mom." Julie was hyperventilating now. Tears streaming down her face as she fell to the floor.

"Oh sweetie. Shh shh it's going to be okay." She said while rubbing Julie's back. She wasn't exactly surprised. Ray had called Victoria last night to let her know that they would have 3 new house members. Victoria figured Julie's panic attack likely had something to do with a certain guitar player. She remembered feeling the same way at her age - well not having three cute boys move into their house, but wanting to talk to her own mother about boys. Boys at this age - or really any age - could be... complicated. Which felt like a nicer way of saying idiots.

"I'm sorry Tia. I just didn't know who else to call." Julie's tears were still streaming down her face.

"You never have to apologize for that Mija! Your Mama was my sister, and I miss her everyday too. And you know what honey, she didn't want to go. If she could have stayed, she would have. But now she's in heaven and not in pain. She's always watching over you. You know that right, Mija?"

Julie nodded, cuddling into Tia's warm embrace. Victoria led them to the couch and handed Julie some tissue.

"Now, do you want to tell me what's going on?"

Julie took a deep breath and began.

"So there are these two boys. We'll call one of them Nate and the other one Liam. So I've known Nate for a really long time and always had a crush on him, but then I met Liam and I couldn't stop getting butterflies. Now Nate seems to like me, and sometimes I think Liam does too, but I just don't know. And is it fair to go out with Nate if I like Liam more? But I don't even know if Liam likes me, so should I just play it safe and go out with Nate? What if I keep saying no to Nate, and then I ask Liam and he says no to me and then I'm totally alone. What if I'm unlovable?"

Victoria softly smiled. Oh the troubles of young love. Everything seems so end-of-the-world extreme.

"Well firstly, I think you're too young to date. And I'm pretty sure your Papi agrees – I seem to recall him saying you wouldn't be allowed to date till your married. But that was when you were 6 so he might have changed his mind." That brought a small smile to Julie's face. Tia continued, "And it does sound like you already know part of the answer. You shouldn't be with someone Nate if you like Luk-Liam." Julie's face turned crimson. Of course her aunt knew who she was talking about.

"But Mija, there's something else I want to remind you of." Julie looked up at Victoria with big eyes. "You, my beautiful girl, do not need to be with either of them. You, Julie Rose Molina, are an incredible young woman, full of life and love. You have gone through much, more than a 16 year old should have to go through. Yes, this band may have helped you overcome some of your struggles, but you've had the strength in you all along. I want you to remember that. But your Mama was a wise women, and I will tell you what she told me the first time I had my heart broken. A man is not meant to complete you or make you better. But when you find the right one, he will make your best days feel even better. And life will feel incomplete without him. Does that make sense sweetie?"

Julie nodded, once again with tears in her eyes. But this time they were tears and joy and gratitude. Sometimes she forgot how similar her Tia was to her mom. Sure she ragged on her dad about food and making sure they were all moving on, but Victoria loved them dearly.

"Thank you Tia. I love you." Julie gave her aunt another big hug and then ran up the stairs to shower.

Victoria sat on the couch for a moment later, once again waiting for Rose to walk through the front door. After a long second, she shook her head and looked up.

"Rose. I miss you. I know you're out there watching over us, but please help me. Help me to look after Julie and Carlos the way you would have wanted to."

She glanced around the living room once more before heading out the door.