Chapter 10

School was school. So mostly it was boring. With the one big exception that everyone wanted to get their photo with Julie. Even Mrs. Harrison, which made Julie laugh. She knew playing the Orpheum was a big deal, but she only thought about what it would mean for the band. Not what it would mean for her school life. At last the final bell rang and Julie was able to head home without too many people stopping her. It's possible that Flynn might have become a bit of her bodyguard, but Julie wasn't complaining.

Julie ran straight to her room as soon as she got home. She knew that Luke saw her everyday, but she still wanted to make a bit of an impression. She put on a long flowy dress with chunky heels, but then an oversized denim jacket. So depending on how their non-date date went, she was either casual or dressy enough. She closed her bedroom door and walked right into a brick wall... or rather Luke's chest.

Luke cleared his throat, but still spoke in a raspy voice. "You um look really nice Jules." Was that too forward? He didn't think so. Friends could compliment each other without it being weird, right?

"Thanks Lucas. You like nice too."

"Oh I'm Lucas now?"

"Well I figured since you call me Jules, you needed a nickname too. I mean I could call you Lulu if you'd prefer. Or LPatz. Or Skywalker."

"No. Nope. Lucas is good."

"I don't know... I'm starting to think Lulu might be the one."

The two looked at each other and smiled. Whatever nerves that had been feeling seemed to slip away.

"So Lulu, have you thought about where you might want to work? And did the guys get everything sorted, or should they be joining us?"

"I told you – no Lulu. Reggie ended up getting a job at the dog shelter. I don't even think they were hiring, he just sort of showed up there and didn't stop playing with the dogs. I guess they figured if he was going to be there, he might as well do some work too. And Alex got a job at City Outfits or something like that."

Julie thought for a minute... "Oh, Urban Outfitters. Yeah I can see that. And Reggie at the shelter makes perfect sense... so long as he doesn't end up bringing all the dogs home with him."

"Yeah your dad already talked to him about that, so I don't expect there'll be a dog any time soon. I think your dad might be the only thing he loves more than puppies. Other than pizza... I don't think anything tops pizza for him."

Julie laughed and it was the most beautiful sound Luke had ever heard. It put a huge smile on his face knowing that he was responsible for making her happy.

"So Lucas," smiling at getting to call him something special, "where should we look for you?"

Luke scratched his neck. It was so endearing, and Julie knew that Luke usually said something cute afterwards.

"About that... I actually sort of already got a job?"

Julie stopped walking and slapped him on the arm.

"Luke! Why didn't you tell me?! Where are we going then?"

"Ouch!" Julie rolled her eyes at him. "Fine. So I'm going to be working at that place where we played Finally Free."

"Really? I can't imagine you making cappuccinos and you know there would be long lines to come see the hot new barista."

"Oh you think I'm hot?" Luke smirked at Julie.

"No... I mean the barista they would hire to replace you when you were fired, duh!" Julie stuck her tongue out at him.

"Rude. But no, I'm going to be working in the kitchen and bussing tables mostly. But listen," Luke suddenly became animated, "They said that we could have like a semi-regular gig!"

"That's amazing! Way to go Lulu!"

"I TOLD YOU NO LULU!"

"Hehehe. Okay. Fine LUCAS, what are we doing then if you already have a job?"

"Well I figured we'd already made plans to hang out. I thought maybe we could go get ice cream um or dinner or something."

"Cool cool cool" Julie needed to text the girls. Dinner sounded like a real proper date in her mind.

"Or we could always go back and hang out with the guys if you'd rather do that."

"NO! I mean no. We're already out. By the time we'd go back there and then come back here and then we'd have to pick where to go based on 4 of us, it would be a whole big thing. No, I mean we're already out here just the two of us, so this makes sense. But I'll just text my dad first to let him know I won't be home for dinner."

Julie quickly stepped away to text her dad. And then a much lengthier text to Flynn and Carrie updating them of the change in plans.

💋💋JFC💋💋

Jules🌺

So apparently L already had a job sorted out. So now we're going out for dinner.

Care💃🏼

JULES! THAT'S A REAL DATE!

Flynnie😈

Highly sus if you ask me.

Care💃🏼

Yup. Sounds like mr macho no-sleeves needed an excuse to ask you out 😏

"Right. Okay. Um. So where do you want to eat?"

"Oh I know this great hot dog stand. I'M JOKING!!" Luke gave her a dirty glare.

"Not cool Jules. It's how we died." He said sarcastically. Smiling, he grabbed her hand and pulled her along the street to a small Italian restaurant. "I can't believe this place is still here. Man they used to make the best pasta. Would that be okay for you?"

Julie was aware that Luke was still holding her hand. "Yeah. Just as long as you order something different from me."

"Why?"

"Well that way I can eat some of yours too!"

Luke nodded his head. He liked that plan. He liked this whole night. He slowly brushed his thumb against the back of Julie's hand. His dad used to do that to his mom whenever they were driving in the car. It was such a simple gesture, but it always stuck out in Luke's mind as a romantic one. It was subtle enough though that if Julie freaked out, he'd be able to play it off as an accident.

Julie felt a shiver go up her spine.

She let go of Luke's hand and opened the door to the restaurant.

"Shall we go in?"

***

They were halfway through dinner and Luke wasn't sure if or where he messed up. Julie had become quiet.

"Hey Jules... is everything okay?"

Julie took a deep breath. Should she tell Luke what was on her mind, or just play it off as no big deal?

"It's nothing. It's just been a long day and I miss my mom." Julie felt like a coward. She was taking the easy way out.

"Jules, I'm so sorry. Do you want to go home?" Please say no please say no please say no.

Julie kept her eyes glued to the table and nodded her head yes.