Chapter 7

Nick checked his phone again. Still no reply from Julie.

Caleb was getting impatient. While he was certain there were perks to being a lifer, this child did not display any of them. He had hoped he would be able to get closer to that Julie girl in this form, but thus far, it had been unsuccessful. He could also sense the boy was resisting his control. Though he was no match against Caleb, he did require a bit more concentration than most lifers wandering around the streets.

If only the boys had accepted his offer. It was really quite generous. He was willing to share the stage with them. That was not a courtesy he extended to his background band. Caleb could not understand how this Julie had removed the stamp, but it was of little concern. Other than the fact that he did not realize his stamps could be removed. But he would not dwell on that. For now, he would focus on how to get what he wanted

***

The sun was shining and Reggie felt good, or at least he was trying to feel good. He felt like they should be singing and dancing like when they played This Band Is Back on the beach. Instead, Luke was obsessively trying to figure out who Julie's crush was (Reggie was tempted to tell him to look in a mirror, but knew Julie was kill him... again), and Reggie was pretty sure that Alex had found every popular skate park in the area and was determined to search them all. They had already gone back to a few of the same ones just in case Willie arrived just after they left.

The thing was, Reggie could be a bit of an emotional sponge at times. He soaked up whatever emotions those around him were putting out. So right now, it was obsessive anxiety. Which is really not a fun combination. He needed Luke and Alex to be happy so he could be happy.

"Guys, I can't take it anymore. Julie either likes you or she doesn't, and Willie is either safe or..." Luke gave Reggie a look. "Sorry I mean he's either hiding out from Caleb or... um you know what, I bet we can't find him because he's out looking for you Alex!" Ha, smooth just like Luke would be. "I know - let's have a boys day! We haven't spent any time just the three of us in forever!" Reggie knew this would make everything better!

"Reg... we literally spent 25 years together."

"Well I know that Alex... but now we can do stuff rather than listening to Luke crying."

"I wasn't crying! That was Alex!"

"Mmmmm I think we were all crying." Alex's voice raised a few octaves with his counter.

The three boys looked at each other before bursting into laughter. See – Reggie's plan was already working.

"Okay Reg, you're right. The real question is will Luke be alright spending the day away from his precious Julie." Alex teased. Luke rolled his eyes and once again reminded them he and Julie were just friends. Alex and Reggie shared a knowing look.

"Soooo... boys day?" Luke *smoothly* changed the subject.

***

Julie was pacing around the studio that evening when she heard a poofing sound and lots of laughter.

"Hey Juuuuuuules!"

"Oooh it's Julie"

"Reg, let's go say hi to Ray"

"Really?! YAY! Best boys day ever!"

Julie watched as Alex and Reggie ran off to the house.

"So... I guess you guys can still poof... um what's boys day?" Julie tried to keep her voice calm. The boys had been gone for hours, and she didn't know if they were safe. None of them really had a clue about if Caleb knew they were still here, or how he would react if he ever found out. Her anxiety was simmering just below the surface, and depending on what Luke said next, it might turn into anger real quick.

"Oh. Um we used to do back when we were, you know, alive. After something major happened, we would spend the day just as a band. We'd take a break from anything that was stressing us out and just, you know, have fun. Usually back then it was after something bad went down, like when Alex's parents kicked him out, or when I ran away." Luke cleared his throat after a moment of silence. "So, how were your *big* plans with Flynn?"

Julie's anxiety had turned to concern. "Oh, um, I actually had the dates wrong. But why did you need a boys day today?"

Hmm... so Julie hadn't been with the Perfect Harmony guy. Luke scratched his neck before replying, "Alex was getting pretty stressed out about Willie. We couldn't find him anywhere and we don't know if Caleb found out that he was trying to help us cross over."

"Oh, okay." Another beat of silence. "Well maybe we should go check on Alex? And make sure Reggie doesn't poof in front of my dad?"

"Right." Neither one moved toward the door. Luke suddenly stepped in front of Julie, "Hey I was wondering if you wanted to hang out tomorrow."

Julie's eyes were wide as saucers as she looked up at Luke.

"Remember your dad said we needed to get jobs, and I was hoping you could help me look at places?"

Whatever hope had been building inside of Julie vanished. Of course that's what he had been talking about. Julie thought back to what Tia Victoria had said. She didn't need a boyfriend. And if she really loved Luke, because who were we kidding here, having him as a friend was better than nothing at all. "Absoposatutely" WHAT! WAS! THAT! "I mean yeah absolutely. When I get home from school we can all go out and see who is hiring."

"Yes. All of us."

"Right. You all need to get jobs."

"Yep... except you know what I think Reggie was going to talk to your dad about helping out at the studio, and Alex... found a job too. So it will be just us."

"Oh. Okay"

"Great. So then it's a date." He said with a wink before heading out of the studio.