Chapter 13

Alex had just finished work and was on his way to meet Reggie when he thought he caught of glimpse of Willie. Knowing that this could be his only chance, Alex chased after him. He felt more certain it was Willie after he watched him skate through some lifers. He followed Willie through the throngs of tourists till he went down an alleyway. But when Alex turned the corner, there was no one there. Obviously Willie being a ghost meant that he could poof anywhere, but it felt like Alex had just been led on a goose chase.

Not wanting to waste anymore time, Alex poofed to the dog shelter just as he saw Ray walking through the front doors. Alex was confused, but walked over to Ray once he was inside.

"Hey Mr. Molina. Is everything okay?"

"Alex, please call me Ray! But yes, everything is okay. Better than okay." He brought Alex over to a quiet corner of the waiting room. "But I was actually hoping to get to talk to you alone for a moment."

This was it. The moment Alex had been dreading but knew would inevitably come. Ray was going to ask him to leave because he didn't feel comfortable having a homosexual living in his house. Alex had heard it before and was trying to make sure he didn't cry this time.

"Alex?"

"Sorry Mr. Molina. I think I might have spaced out for a moment."

"Again, it's Ray. But I was saying how I wanted to say a proper thank you to you boys and I wanted to get you each something special. But I wasn't sure what to get for you Alex. I just can't imagine how challenging it has been for you, but I just want you to know that you are wanted in our family, just the way you are, and if anyone ever makes you feel otherwise, well the whole Molina clan will have something to say about it. If there's anything you would like, please let me know. I haven't seen any of you with phones or laptops, which surprises me since you were chatting with Julie while you were in Sweden, but if that's something you would like, please tell me. Or if you want to travel to or anything, I hope you know you can tell me." Ray wasn't sure if he had said something wrong. Alex was just staring at him, not moving a muscle. "It's just I already picked out the gifts for Reggie and Luke, and I didn't want you to think that I didn't have something for you. Or want to have something for you. I hope I didn't overstep Alex. If I did –" The once reserved Alex was now sobbing into Ray's chest, clinging onto him for dear life. Ray was shocked and wasn't sure what to do, so he did the only thing he could think of and hugged Alex back.

"Um sorry Ray," Alex smiled shyly. "I just... well I've never really had someone act like this. But um while there's not really something I can think of, do you think maybe we could hang out sometime? I know Reggie thinks the world of you, and I don't know if you realize this, but you've sort of become like a father to him. And so while I know you already have Carlos and now Reggie, but if you ever have space for another son... um I'm available."

Ray beamed at Alex. This kid was so mature and wise, yet just wanted to be loved. "I would be honoured to have you as a son Alex."

Alex matched Ray's smile. "Um cool. So why are you here? Were you picking up Reggie? We had been planning on going to see Luke at the café after work." Alex was trying to play it cool even though his heart was practically a unicorn throwing up rainbows at this point.

"Well I'm going to give Reggie his gift now. Care to come with me?" Alex nodded and followed Ray into the back room of the shelter. When Reggie saw the two of them together he jumped up and ran over.

"Hey Ray! Hey Alex! What's up? I didn't expect to see you here Ray. Do you want to meet my friends? Mostly they're dogs, but there are some lifers too!"

"Lifers?" Ray was confused.

"Did I say lifers? I meant life savers. Cause they save the lives of the dogs." Smooth Reggie 😎

"Well Reggie, I was thinking our house was a little quiet, and I was wondering if any of these dogs could use a home. Just ONE though."

"Wait? Really? Do you mean it? Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh! Okay oh man this is hard. I wonder what kind Carlos would like. Okay um hmm okay." Reggie had never looked so excited. He was bouncing back and forth between the different dogs trying to see which one would become his new official best friend.

A pretty girl walked over to Reggie while giggling. "Hey Reg what's going on?"

"Oh hey Sam," Reggie got a slight blush while looking at the girl. "Um Ray said I can get a dog." Reggie looked proud to have Ray standing beside him.

"Hi Ray, it's nice to meet you. Reggie has told me all about you and how you're a great listener."

"Well Reggie hasn't known me for that long, but I will take the compliment!"

"So Reg, what are you thinking?" Alex asked trying to change the topic.

"I think this one."

"Really?" Alex and Ray asked at the same time?

Sam beamed. "I think that's a perfect choice. He's been glued to your side since you first came here."

"Okay then. It's settled. Butter, you're coming home with me!" (shoutout to jatpcontent on insta for naming Reggie's golden retriever Butter. I literally can't think of a better named dog for Reggie)

After filling out the necessary paperwork, Ray, Alex, Reggie, and Butter headed outside. Ray told the boys that he would take Butter home, and that they should drive over to meet Luke. The boys declined seeing as 1) they specifically chose jobs that were within walking distance so no one would be suspicious about them not needing rides to work, 2) neither one wanted the responsibility of driving Ray's nice car, and 3) their drivers licenses expired, you know, 25 years ago.

While they opted to leave that last one out, Ray gleefully said he had one last surprise. He walked up to an old van that looked like it could turn into Scooby Doo's Mystery Machine with a paint job. When Alex and Reggie didn't react with screams of joy, Ray guessed more explanation was needed

"So hear me out, I figure you boys can fix it up a bit, and then when you have gigs and stuff, you can drive together. Like with whatever equipment you need. You know like old rock bands in the 90s used to do." Was this a bad idea? Ray thought Luke would be into it – he seemed to really like the 80s and 90s rockers, so he might appreciate it.

"Luke. Is. Going. To. LOSE HIS MIND!" Reggie screamed.

"Ray, Reggie is right. Luke is going to love it. And to know that you were thinking of the band when you picked it out, well, you may have another son in your life," Ray and Alex smiled at each other, but Reggie did feel left out, like he had missed something. He wanted Ray to be his best friend/dad. Although now he had Butter to fill the best friend position, he was hoping Ray would be his much-needed father figure. Alex looked concerned for a moment, "Wasn't it expensive though?"

Ray really felt bad now that he didn't have something physical to give Alex. "It really wasn't that much, as I said, you're going to need to fix it up. I won't lie, it's in rough shape. But it's solid where it counts, and the engine and the brakes work, so I figured that was a good start. And I plan on giving you boys a loan if you need one to get parts. Plus Flynn thought you should have a visible brand in the real world – not just online."

Ray tossed Alex the keys, told them not to be out too late, and to let him know how Luke liked his gift.

Reggie practically looked like a sloth when he jumped onto Ray to give him a big hug, and Alex just chuckled and gave Ray a big smile. For a guy who constantly complained about not getting hugs, he was pretty reluctant about giving them.