Chapter 17

Luke was finishing up his shift when he saw Flynn and Carrie walk into the café.

"Hey Luke!" Flynn yelled. "Have you had a good day? How was your morning? Any special moments with anyone I know?" She wiggled her eyebrows at him.

"Ha ha Flynn. Where is Jules anyway?"

Carrie and Flynn exchanged a quick glance.

"She had to go get Carlos," Flynn said.

"She had to go get groceries," Carrie said.

Luke looked at them, waiting for clarification.

"What we mean is, Julie had to go get groceries FOR Carlos." Flynn tried to recover.

"... Remind me to never involve you in any crime because you two would crack so fast. Honestly, you are terrible liars."

"Whatever," Carrie flipped her hair. "The point is, she's somewhere that's not here."

Luke shook his head and went to hang up his apron. "Whatever right back at you Carrie. Hey Liv, I'm heading out now!"

"See ya Luke!" Flynn and Carrie followed the voice to see Olivia. They understood now why Julie had been jealous – not that she used that word, but it was obvious. Carrie had a plan... in the name of science.

Carrie walked over to Olivia. Flynn watched trying to figure out what Carrie was doing. She was smiling and laughing and paid for her drink. Carrie threw Flynn a wink which confused Flynn even more. Carrie grabbed her latte, turned to give Olivia a wave, and then made her way back to Flynn.

"What was that about?"

"Oh just testing a theory."

"Are you going to tell me or keep being cryptic?"

In way of response, Carrie turned her latte around to reveal Olivia's number with a message to call her and a winky face.

"I don't think Julie has anything to worry about."

"CARRIE WILSON! What are you going to do?" Flynn's jaw dropped at this revelation.

Carrie giggled and shrugged her shoulders. "Prolly call her. I mean, look at her."

"What about Nick?"

"What about him?"

"Well you dated him."

"And?"

"And Olivia is a girl."

"Flynn... why would I limit myself to only boys?"

She made a good point.

***

When Luke got home he immediately headed to Julie's room, but she wasn't there. He checked the studio, but she wasn't there either. He really needed to get one of those phones that Julie had everywhere. She said that people could send letters to each other instantaneously. He read the note she left him again – he may or may not have memorized it and then kept it in his pocket – but she did say that she wanted to talk today, and then confirmed it when he saw her this morning. It wasn't like Julie to go back on her word. Then he had a horrible thought... what if Caleb had gotten to her?

Luke knew he should wait for the guys for back up, but if Julie was in danger, Luke couldn't wait around. He scribbled a note for Alex and Reggie. Normally he would have poofed, but he was too nervous that he decided to walk and hopefully come up with a game plan by the time he reached the doors of the Hollywood Ghost Club.

***

Julie was having a great time hanging out with Jax. They had gotten their ice cream, he had gotten his butt kicked at the arcade, and were now on a hunt for hot dogs. After finally finding a street dog vendor, they were standing in line when Julie started feeling bad. Luke had said he was ready to talk to her, and now here she was about to eat the same meal that had killed him. She was about to ask Jax if they could go somewhere else when he handed her a hot dog.

"Here you go Jules."

"Oh thanks JJ." Julie looked at her hot dog suddenly not feeling hungry anymore.

"Hey I was wondering if you wanted to come to that party tonight? I thought we could continue our good time."

"I've had fun too JJ, but I actually should be getting home. Look, I hope I didn't mislead you or anything, but that guy Luke from last night... well something is going on with us, or at least something could happen. I think."

"Jules. I'm flattered. But I was actually hoping that you might be able to tell me what your friend Alex is into." Jax had a small blush rising across his neck. Jax had never said what he was into, and so Julie had just assumed. And you know what they say about assuming. 

"OH MY GOSH YES! He totally thought you were hot! I think the guy who he was into is ghosting him, so he's single, but so you may need to give him some time, but he's totally worth it!"

Julie was so happy to know that there was not going to be any awkwardness with Jax, and the idea of him and Alex together was just too cute. As long as Willie really was out of the picture. Any time Julie had tried to bring it up with Alex, his face would go hard and just say that he didn't want to talk about it.

"Hello Julie." 

Julie turned to see Nick. "Oh, hey Nick."

"I wanted to ask again if you would consider going out on a date with me. I am not going to take no for an answer," He said flashing a devilish grin.

"Nick, I'm sorry but I'm really not interested."

That answer apparently did not fly with Caleb. He grabbed Julie's arm roughly. "Julie, I really think you ought to reconsider."

"Hey pal, care to take your hand off of my girlfriend." Jax put on his most intimidating voice. Nick let go of her arm and stared at Jax. Julie looked up at Jax and mouthed a thank you. Jax put his arm around Julie and placed a kiss on her head. "Are we going to have a problem?"

"No. No I do not believe so. I thought you were with that guitar player, but I see now that I was mistaken. Fear not, I will not bother you again."

Nick walked away and Julie gave Jax a big hug.

"Jules?"

Julie sucked in a breath. She knew that voice and heard the hurt in it. "Luke – wait!"

He turned to face her. Julie saw a pleading sadness in his eyes, and it watched it turn to something else as he looked at Jax. "Have fun with your new boyfriend Julie. I guess I now know who the mystery man is."