Chapter 4

Dallas

"Dallas, hey, the band is about to pull up. I need you to go greet them and show them to their dressing rooms. Have Kiernan help the crew and get them settled as far as where they want everything." My boss, Josephine, fast walks around frantically getting people ready for Wallows' arrival.

"Let's move people! We have a big crowd to prepare for tonight!"

The venue staff and I scramble out of our spots on the stage and the first row seats where we were hanging out before work needed to be done. I move from my spot on one of the speakers and head towards backstage where I find Kiernan standing at the snack table, putting together the muffin tower.

"Kiernan, they're almost here— Oh wow, that looks great. Come on, let's go!" He begins walking beside me as we head for the back door.

"Thank God you came and got me. I finished that muffin tower 15 minutes ago but I didn't know what to do after so I just stood there rearranging the same muffins over and over." He says, hooking his arm around my shoulder as we make our way down bustling hallways full of crew, catering, and tech.

"Aren't you so excited? We're about to meet Dylan Minette! You know, I watched him in 13 Reasons Why, that's where I first found out about him. Did you watch 13 Reasons Why?" I open my mouth to reply but Kiernan, being Kiernan, just keeps talking.

"Oh my gosh, he is a dreamboat. That blue hair and his voice. I might faint when I meet him so get ready Dal, you may have to catch me." Kiernan rambles on about his fan boy behavior over the famous band member.

I turn towards him right before we open the door, grab him by the shoulders, and look him dead in the eyes.

"Kiernan. You work in the music business. Every time an artist comes here you tell me you're going to faint. If you faint, I will not catch you. Pull yourself together bud." I say, patting him reassuringly on the shoulder.

He scoffs as I turn to open the door. "You know Dallas, fan behavior is acceptable in this day and age."

I open the door and the breeze hits my face. The sun is setting on Seattle and also conveniently in my eyes, so I bring my hand up to my forehead to shield the bright light. I see the black tour bus pulling into the back parking lot, getting closer until it eventually comes to a halt. The bus doors fold open and the first person to walk out is the manager I had coordinated the event with.

"Hi! I'm Dallas, the event coordinating intern here, we spoke on the phone. Welcome to Neumos!" I reach my hand out and meet him in the middle for a handshake.

"And I'm Kiernan, and I am your guide for everything backstage. I'll be showing the crew and everyone where everything is located if you'd all follow me!" He waves around to the crew members getting out of the second bus that followed the first.

As Kiernan takes the management and crew inside, the band members begin flowing out of the first bus. Cole, then Dylan, then Braeden.

"Hi everyone! I'm Dallas, welcome to Neumos! We are so excited for the show tonight!"

"Yeah we are too." Cole begins to speak. They all are holding bags as well as backpacks over their shoulders.

"We are so delighted to have you here, so let's head inside and I'll show you around." I say, turning around and starting towards the door. I pull it open and allow them through first before I walk in and let it slowly shut behind me, the boys standing where they are as I make my way back in front of them.

"So, here is just the backstage area, which is where your crew will be throughout the show." I use my hands to point out each location as we go. "We have a lounge through those doors for before during the show, and for your break before the encore for you to easily access. That is where your refreshments will be and your space to take a breather." We walk behind the stage curtain down the hallway and through another set of doors.